I love fuel hauling

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by TakinItEasy, Feb 6, 2019.

1. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    I hear a lot about the " Smith System " Can you explain what that is. I am thinking something to do with safe driving but not familiar with it.

4. dennisroc

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Do you know of any good video's showing loading and unloading fuel tankers ?

5. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Youtube has some pretty good unloading videos, as well as other gas hauler type stuff, but I couldn't find any loading vids, probably due to no videoing in the rack.

tscottme and dennisroc Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They keep a folder with your name on it under a desk somewhere. If you know the little negative stuff, particularly the tattletales from staffers around your truck or cost damage etc gets to a certain hefty they let you go.

One of the worst tattles Ive had in my life was a employee, a office drone pass my local truckstop, the Frederick 76 at 4 am in the morning as I pull out after breakfast early. Two and half hours early to shipper Blue Circle in Canton south of baltimore 45 minutes as the crow flies. I got hauled before the big poobah and questioned severely on the breakfast jaunt. Seriously?

That was the clue for me to rotate from flat local to south regional with a sleeper so I can have all the breakfasts I want... sheesh.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Dennixx and dennisroc Thank this.
  8. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You can google it by putting in unloading gasoline trucks. Stay away from using the word tanker because you'll get ships that are hauling crude.

You can do the same for the Smith System and you're learn all about the program. I can tell you what it does for the driver. Basically what the whole program does is teach you the old ways of driving. Way back when this program started they got together a bunch of million milers and 20+ years of safe driving drivers and sat them down and got the basic steps in defensive driving. The Smith System put all their tips together and how to make them work on the job.

If it's not monitored on the job it's just another safety item. But if you have a driver that can keep track of all the other drivers then it works. Our drivers had resistance to the program until they started working it and found out it was basically doing what they have been doing for years. Now they wouldn't drive if they could not use the program. I taught my son the basics when he was getting his license for the first time and he is accident free with no tickets and now he's 30. The driver trainer is the Smith System monitor that rides with the driver once a quarter. All he does is remind the driver of the 5 steps and is not there to report to the company how you're driving. If the company steps in the system will fail. It's a driver helping another driver to be the best he or she can be.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  9. Milkman719

Milkman719 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    So many Jobs out there! This Trump economy is great! Smith system is what some companies (like mine)use to show how to operate/Drive in a safe manner and how to recognize potential dangers.

MartinFromBC and dennisroc Thank this.
  10. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    Yeah win bigly! Come work for rate slashers and haul gas for nothing...

11. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I’ve seen gas haulers get paid $17 an hour in California. I’m talking coastal California, not somewhere in the valley or in the middle of nowhere. I at least got paid almost $25. I’m making the same rate now in Washington/Idaho and bought a house. I dunno if that’s California screwing up or the rates suck. Definitely kind of ridiculous to get paid slightly over minimum wage to haul GASOLINE wtf! Lots and lots of factors to blame for this. I’m just glad I’m doing ok raising a family. We aren’t rich but we can afford stuff when needed and own a nice home with great schools. Classic 1950’s style family.

HazmatTanker and dennisroc Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.