I need a few hazmat questions answered

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truckinusa, Nov 23, 2010.

1. truckinusa

truckinusa Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Ponca City, OK
    I haul hot asphalt oil. I've been told that you don't need a hazmat license to haul the stuff. Why is that? I'd also like to know why you have to stop at railroad crossings with an elevated temperature load (the reasons are obvious) if you don't need a hazmat license? I guess what I'm saying is could someone point me to the laws that spell this out? Guess I need to see it for myself.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    This reference is directly from the Texas Driver handbook >> The Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) are found in Parts 171-180 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations. The common reference for these regulations is 49 CFR 171-180.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_99/49cfrv2_99.html

RT

4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I'll check my hazmat guide when I get back to the truck. Any idea what number is on the placard? That would help.

5. Flyer

Flyer Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Yes you most definitely need the hazmat endorsement for hot oil (PG58-22,PG64-22 etc). If the placards are "HOT" you need the endorsement, period. If it's emulsion( i.e. HFE150), you don't need anything but tanker.

6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Okay, in looking at my Hazardous Materials Compliance Pocketbook (hardly...it's 582 pages...) I see no exception for asphalt oil. What I do find is a UN number of 3257 Elevated Temperature Liquid, nos. However, I am not finding the reportable quantity for this UN number. But that doesn't mean anything. If it has a placard, it requires a hazmat endorsement.

Do you mind if I ask where you heard this little gem of information?
    All you say is, "I was told..." was it your employer? Another driver? Because I was always "told" if it has a UN number and weighs over 999 pounds, it is reportable, needs a placard and requires a hazmat endorsement.

You're right to get the answer here rather than at a roadside inspection by Dieselbear. He'll write you for 383.93(b)(4) no hazardous materials endorsement on CDL, worth 24 points on your CSA2010 score for the first year. I would imagine it would cost you and your employer a substantial amount of money as well.

Be safe out there.

7. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    That's the key words I was taught

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    In Iowa and MN, and WI you need the endorsement to haul it, BTDT. I'd assume you need it everywhere in this country because I have seen 3257 hot placards on lots of tankers all over the country

You don't need the endorsement to haul emulsions because those are not hazardous. The same tanks are used to haul both materials.

You can't load hot AC in a tank that has been used to haul emulsions without warming it up (purging) to get rid of any remaining emulsionin.. Failure to do this can get you steamed while loading the hot AC.

Hot AC can be as low as 270 degrees and up to over 330 degrees. It's nasty, messy stuff that splatters everything you wear, and requires plenty of protective gear including face shields.

snowman_w900 Thanks this.
  9. truckinusa

truckinusa Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Ponca City, OK
    I don't really know. I've just been told by other drivers that you don't need a hazmat license and supposedly we have drivers at my company that don't have hazmat. We haul flammable loads 1993 and the un3257 HOT asphalt loads. The Flammable loads can't be hauled without hazmat of course. Its mostly PG64-22 which I found out describes the minimum and maximum ground temperature at 4 inches of depth in celsius. I couldn't figure out what all these weird mixes of Asphalt oil meant.

10. frostykel

frostykel Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    The "HOT" sign on tanks of elevated temperature material is not an actual placard by regulation. It is a label. Therefore, you do not need any type of hazmat endorsement to haul elevated temperature material. Regulations can be found in 49 CFR Part 383 under CDLs.

kingtut777, snowman_w900 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If you are running tanker and your company runs any type of hazmat loads, I would go ahead and get the endorsement. Even if you seldom use it. It costs a little bit of time and $$ but in the long run it could keep you running when times get slow.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.