I Need Engne Help

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Wolfgang_KW, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Wolfgang_KW

Wolfgang_KW Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2007
    New Orleans,Louisiana
    I'm just coming in to the trucking biz:hello1: and I inherited my dad's 97 w900. The truck is in good shape and is not a fleet spec truck:thumbup: But the engine is shot, according to my stepmother shortly after the doctors took my dad of the road he lent it to a friend and he managed to trash it.

What I want to know is what engine should I go for? I'm kinda looking for more power than anything but I need something easy to work on and reliable. Since I have some money to dish out on it I dont want to go cheap and end up wanting later on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    What's in it now? Why don't you want to rebuild what you already have?

4. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

I'd rebuild it , in frame or out...unless its a detriot, in that case just set the truck on fire and collect the insureance money lol
    Ive personally always liked a Cat 3406e , but i hear the c-15 is awesome to run....cat 3408 was fun but its an old motor and you won't get MPG with it
    Cummin's are just as good and cost less to repair...
    theres an outfit in Idaho that takes older trucks and updates the drivetrain to parts that you want or what you can afford, bear in mind it isnt cheap

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    A complete overhaul on what you have will be 10 to 16k depending on what it needs. and will get you a warrenty of 100k or 200k miles usually depending on what level of overhaul you take.

Replacing it with a new motor will run over $20k I think $22k for an 11 ltr (small motor) detroit was the last quote I heard recently

6. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Just about the numbers I was figuring. You will have more into the truck than it's worth. The only way it would work out is if you did it yourself

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

I don't know who does the work in your part of the country, but here in the Midwest, there is an outfit near Warsaw Indiana that does rebuilds and replacements and provides a good job at a decent price. Diesel Power and Machine used to be known as TTP and advertises heavily in truck and ag papers. They have a web site at www.dieselpower-reman.com and can be phoned at 800-825-7711.

It might be worth making a call, and if the truck is still running enough to make it up here, come in and have them swap or inframe rebuild the engine. They are actually a remanufacturing facility as opposed to just rebuilding the engines, and they can do swaps in one day or so. Their reputation for their work is top notch, and if I buy and have to have a rebuild, they are high on my list of shops.

8. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    Clean the truck up very well, take plenty of pictures, put it on Ebay as-is with the bad engine. Take what you can get, laugh all the way to the bank, and never look at a truck again.

If a truck drives by your house while you are in the yard, look the other way, plug your ears, hide. Keep away from them on the road.

Get away now while you still can. Once you are in you will never be able to completely get out. If you sell now you can at least tell people you made money in trucking.

RUN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE !!!

9. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    WOW... Someone forgot there prozack this morning

10. Wolfgang_KW

Apr 18, 2007
    New Orleans,Louisiana
    Sorry i was not more specific on the engine. It is a Detroit series 60 and what worng is a cracked block; and the fact it sat for a while and ceased up. Even with freash batteries did not budge:biggrin_25513: I was thinking of a remanufactured engine not realy wanting a new one. I just know I dont want a Detroit. Is swapping to a Cummins or Cat realy that hard?

The resone I want to get this truck running is part sentimental and part the fact it has been customized and stretched with a 100" studio sleeper. The interior is pritty good except for the smell is sitting for so long.

I have been driving a for my uncle since Katrina blew by. I drive a 1989 GMC dump truck with 6 speed and 8.2 diesel(one of the worst things I ever drove) but since I have no life and like driving I want to go in long haul and get out this D@#! DIRTY A&% TRUCK!

11. Wolfgang_KW

Apr 18, 2007
    New Orleans,Louisiana
    Oh by-the-way I would be willing to do it the swap my self since I have access to the lifting equipment and tools needed to do the job.:smt032 Also rewiring would not be an issue eather since I can do almost anything with the right schematics.:study:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.