I need help! Legally modify commercial truck?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by asherlee2, Mar 18, 2021.

1. asherlee2

asherlee2 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Hello all! I am new to the forum but have been reading a lot. I can not find any legal information on what I am trying to do.

My question is can I legally install a newer, custom cab on my medium duty truck?

Backstory and info:
    I am a welder/fabricator and started working on a 2001 F650. I have built a 8 door "super truck" cab for the F650.

I currently own the 01' F650 and an 84' international. The cab on the international is GONE. Not repairable by any means. However the frame, drive line, and everything else is perfect. The f650 is essentially the opposite. However I can not install the 84' stuff into the 01' chassis due to regulations I CAN find. Lol

What I want to do is put my custom cab from the F650, onto the international frame, but retain my registration for the international.

I see no regulations stating I "can't" repair my truck this way. And want to know if I can get away with this legally, and still be able to explain myself and pass an inspection.

I know this is probably the most expensive and backwards way of doing this. My question is not if it is practical. But rather, if it could ever be legal by any means.

I know the newer "CV" line using a GM cab. If international used a ford cab at any time, I would simply be "updating" my cab.

Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Ok what state and are they both diesel? Also is this for commercial use or personal?

asherlee2 Thanks this.
  4. asherlee2

asherlee2 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2021
    I am in GA. They are both diesel. 01' Ford is 5.9 Cummins. 84' international was originally dt466. Has mechanical 8.3 Cummins in it now.

Planning on commercial use until I can purchase a semi. 2-5 years.

Also I have receipts and titles and can take pictures to keep if that matters at all.

Thanks!

5. asherlee2

asherlee2 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Also after i am in a semi, I plan on keeping the truck as a personal to haul my jeep/drag car/other toys/camper around. I never plan on selling or getting rid of the truck.

6. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    As old as they are I hardly think you will have an issue. Might have to get a branded title or a rebuilt title.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Seems to me as if the truck will still be a '84 international.

Studebaker Hawk and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  8. asherlee2

asherlee2 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Maybe a rebuilt title? That wouldn't bother me too much.

Chinatown it would be. Just a different "sitting area". This is essentially along the lines of a engine swap. Same platform but different make. The gvwr of both trucks are 2k apart. So essentially the same truck. International is higher. At 28k lol. Baby trucks.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    There is a VIN on the door post(or top on instrument panel) of the International. There is a different VIN on the door post(or instrument panel) of the Ford cab you wish to use. There are other "secret" VIN locations on the International chassis. That will have to reconciled. Just removing the plate from one and attaching to the other is not the thing to do, it smells like it is stolen then.
    I am sure there is a way to do it, replacing an entire cab is fairly commonplace, Truckpaper and several other advertising locations have them, either to replace wrecked or in your case rusty cabs.
    The state of GA will outline the procedure, you need to find someone in DMV that really knows what is going on.

10. asherlee2

asherlee2 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Okay. The only contact information for my local DMV I can find is an email. I will shoot them an email laying out what I'm attempting to do. The tag office was unable to help and left me on hold. I'm sure they were very confused .

In other states I am reading up on "reconstructed" vehicles and seems to be close to what I'm doing. However it is stated the year model of the "reconstructed" truck will be the year it is inspected and assigned a new vin that doesn't reflect anything from the vehicles used to assemble it. ...

If I were to be able to do the same in GA (don't really want to) and my year was "2021" would I not have to have a 21' or newer engine for epa purposes? Or since it was assembled mostly from an 84' international can I still use my mechanical engine and no ELD?? This is very confusing.

Also, with a "reconstructed/assembled/rebuilt" title will I have big issues getting insured and operating commercially?

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are not rebuilding, you are not assembling, you are not assembling, you are rebodying a truck.

First document everything, take lots of pictures and take the cab off the Ford, put it on the chassis you want it to be on, take the original vin off the old cab and put it on the Ford cab, remove the Ford vin off of the cab.

see what you are not doing is altering the original chassis, the chassis matters, not the cab. The cab is not the vehicle, it does not have the engine or the drive train or emissions, it is all on the chassis.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.