I need some confidence

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Matthew, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Matthew

Matthew Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Elk River, MN
    I am only 14 but I really wanna be a trucker when i get older. I mean I know alot about trucks and I'm very intelligent. I am worried my dad won't support me if I do become a trucker. I mean whats the point of going to college if you know what you are going to do. besides when I'm 18 ill be a trucker for a year and continue if I like it. But I'm worried about going to different states and stay away from home for too long. I really want some votes of confidence because I don't know what to do now. I mean when I see a truck you have to make me release my hands from the semi before walking away. I am also going for Atlas Van Lines so if you have ever worked for them I'll really need some feedback. So please help me!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Well, first off, you won't be able to drive in other states until you are 21. That's a federal law.

There isn't anything wrong with wanting to be a trucker, and obviously you have diesel in your viens already.

Just keep up with what's happening in the industry for now, as there are going to be so many changes by time you are old enough to drive you will be amazed.

Matthew and Brickman Thank this.
  4. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Let me preface this with...You Should Go To College.....
    There's nothing wrong with being an educated trucker or an educated plumber (paraphrasing The Flamingo Kid)....
    It's a great life and it's a not so great life.
    I have the best office with a view in the world when I'm on that road and I'm also away from family...that's not so great.
    Check out all of the threads, read the stories from the drivers and make up your own mind.
    You're still young and you'll probably change your mind several times over before you're behind the wheel of your first car. Whatever you choose to do in life be it a driver, doctor, or a preacher.....Do it right, do it with passion...and be proud of who you are.

5. KGB0911

KGB0911 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    Here is a friendly piece of advice. Go to college. Get some 2-year degree in something you enjoy. It would be a good idea to have something to further your education, so IF you do try your hand in trucking, and it just dont work out for you, you have something else to stand on.

2nd. you are only 14. By the time you turn 16, your whole world outlook might have changed. This is what you need to do. Get your Dad's (and/or mom's) approval, find a friend of the family who is a truck driver, and spend a week on the roads.

Don't forget, being an OTR truck driver isnt like an extended road trip. There are daily things that put stress on your system. You really dont get to 'see' as much as you think. And if you're more interested in earning a good paycheck, you will limit your time off to go sightsee.

6. Matthew

Matthew Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Elk River, MN
    I'm worried the trucks will be driven by d#mn robots when I'm 18. I was also planning on being regional until im 21-22 to experience the road in full vigor.

7. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa

dude....do u got a spy camera in my truck?

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    I don't think they'll have robots driving the things in four years. They are still busy keeping up with all of the emission standards and other regulations.

9. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    Lilbit is right go ahead and get that college education first. Then after you get 21 and that deisel is still in your veins go for it. But have that college back up just in case. you never know what this world will bring you.

Matthew Thanks this.
  10. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Uh...you mean I'm not a robot?????? :biggrin_2559::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523:

11. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    well if you happen to look at the movie 2010, which was made in 1984, man should have visited Uranus by now. I use to work in the airline industry for 8 years, quit in 2003. They were worried back then, that in just a few years, airplanes will be completly flown by computer with no human in the ####pit. they still have humans at the controls.

Matthew Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.