I need to change my transmission

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JB1236, Oct 15, 2019.

1. JB1236

JB1236 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2014
    chicago area
    Hi everyone
    I am an O/O doing flatbed, I own Kenworth 2002
    With automated transmission( with clutch)
    I am looking for a shop that can change to Manual ,
    Thanks for the help

oh , and truck has a Cummings engine and Eaton transmission if tha helps

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    I don't know how his work is but Tidwell transmission in Dallas, TX may be of help. I called him and asked about mine, I think he said like 8-10k But he seemed knowledgeable about also repairing the automatic transmissions that so many shops don't know how to repair.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I would think any truck shop could swap it out with a manual, as long as it already has the clutch pedal and linkage, were not talking rocket science here.

5. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    i dont know why you'd want an automatic switched to a manual, maybe if ur haulin heavy sure, but u might regret it later after clutches start going out more and ur gonna have a lot more transmission issues, might even put more wear on ur engine if ur cruising at higher rpms, but i dont know thats what i think, its ur truck, to each his own

6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Automated eatons burn through more clutches then a component driver at 3x the price of a normal one. Less electronics= less issues. Ill take a tower/isolator replacement vs an x-y replacement.

ChevyCam, Oxbow, Diesel Dave and 3 others Thank this.
  7. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    have an eaton autoshift in a 07 columbia, only problem we ever had was the xy shifter going out two years ago, since then the clutch has only been replaced once, also great in traffic.

pushbroom Thanks this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Please explain why clutches will wear out sooner , or more transmission trouble, or even higher engine rpms, none of these make any sense at all.

9. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    id say it all depends on the driver really, as for the clutch id say it wouldnt make much of a difference seeing as they both have them, however transmission trouble if the driver is not very good at shifting, like forcing his gears and grinding, higher engine rpms could be caused by the driver being in a lower gear than needed making his rpms higher if hes cruising at a certain speed also making him lug the engine if they start in a higher gear than necessary, an automatic chooses what gear ur in and doesnt grind its gears its never wrong and is always in the right gear based on the power needed and the weight of the load, also better in traffic, but like i said if the driver knows what he's doing i dont see much difference

starmac Thanks this.
  10. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Gotcha, lol.

wtokhi Thanks this.
  11. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    My cousin did it on his Volvo 780 with a d12 he had an auto with a clutch I think the 10 speed trans labor and miscellaneous parts/ cost him around 6-7k still fairly priced considering I just put a tranny and clutch in on the road on the w9 for 8100 all said and done

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.