I really messed up today.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by phonedoc, Aug 8, 2014.

1. phonedoc

phonedoc Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2013
    And I'm extremely embarrassed by it.

I had a backing accident today, and I'm not sure what I could have done to prevent it.

Back story: Got a call from my favorite broker. Hot load had to move NOW. I'm the only truck she has in the area, and she was more than happy to meet my rate. Cool. Sign the paper and go. Get to the shipper and I'm the only truck there. They were waiting for me, and then going home for the weekend. They assign me a dock, I stretch the axles out and then...

It was a sight side jackknife into the dock. I set up and made the axles hit the inside line. I was bringing the tractor around and still couldn't see the left side, when the trailer suddenly leaned to the left. My right side door had come unlatched and I wound up tearing it completely off against the dock.

Long story short, I've likely lost a great load (I have a second trailer staged in KC, and the load has been bumped to Monday) and I damaged a shipper's property and cost myself a ton of money.

I'm just posting this because I feel terrible about it, and maybe there's some way another new OO can learn from my mistake.

In the meantime, I'll take my e-beating. I deserve it.

I guess I'm just posting this because I screwed up and I need to vent. Thanks for listening.

skellr, walstib, 48Packard and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ew2108

ew2108 Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Baltimore, Md
    we make mistakes its okay you'll get em next time

phonedoc Thanks this.
  4. phonedoc

phonedoc Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Yeah, I know, but it's still hard to swallow. I don't think I could have done anything different, but it still sucks...

ew2108 Thanks this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    My trailers don't have doors so I am certainly not going to beat you up over it but was the latch broke? How does that happen?

phonedoc Thanks this.
  6. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Meh, no one killed or injured, don't beat yourself up too bad. However, you said you're not sure how you could have prevented it. Van door backing incidents are very common, so not trying to bust your balls. But how you prevent them is having door latches that work. There are many different styles with their pro's and cons. If you don't have faith in your latches, sometimes a bungee cord is the easiest quick cheap solution, even if you have to add a couple eye hooks. IF there is room it is always wise to back near the door or get truck straight first, then open doors.

Not busting your balls, just offering some ideas so others can avoid having a bad day as well.

phonedoc and brian991219 Thank this.
  7. phonedoc

phonedoc Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2013
    No worries. I appreciate the input. I have a Wabash Duraplate. It's a little old, but it's still in factory condition. All of the latches are in place and undamaged. I trusted them completely until today. I'll be using some backup measures from now on.

8. phonedoc

phonedoc Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Not sure. Latches are factory issue and undamaged. Somehow or another, that one came unhitched.

9. Dednutz

Dednutz Light Load Member

Nov 28, 2012
    You idiot! Cut your rists and throw yourself from a bridge! Ha Ha, just kidding.... Hey, you are a business owner living your dream and this ##### happens from time to time. Ill have another for you. Cheer up man, you didnt hurt anyone. ##### can be replaced...

10. Criminey Jade

Criminey Jade Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Not Colorado Anymore
    Hugs... Sorry about your door. :(

11. phonedoc

phonedoc Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Just to add some humor to this situation, I bought my trailer from a certain mega-fleet. The door I tore off is the one that says "Award Winning Drivers Are Courteous and Safe.":biggrin_25523:

bergy, Derailed, pattyj and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.