I received a 14 hour violation, but there’s only one problem.........

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SeeSaw, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeeSaw

SeeSaw Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Two weeks ago,while making a delivery in Ladson, SC, I hopped in the leftmost lane (interstate had just gone from 2 lanes to 3) to avoid traffic that all of a sudden started slowing down. What I didn’t know was the traffic was slowing down because a DOT officer was sitting off the right shoulder behind a sign. There wasn’t one of those signs about “no trucks in the left lane.” There are several variations, but my point is, there was not one. Period, I double checked on the way out of town. At any rate, that lane change earned me a traffic stop and subsequent level 3 inspection. I received a local traffic citation for being in the left lane. Also, I received two DOT violations for the left lane and also for driving beyond my 14 hours the day before, when I did an 8/2 split in Georgia. Let me explain the 8/2 split. I stopped at the Quiktrip in Centerville, SC for fuel. I was on 45 minutes from my delivery, but I had 2 1/2 hours or so remaining in my 14 hours. I can’t remember if my 11 & 14 hour clocks were running together, but I had at least 2 1/2 hours left. I decided to take 8 hours after I fueled. After 8 hours in the sleeper, like clockwork, I regained my 2 1/2 hours. I did a pretrip and drove 40 minutes or so to the receiver. I satisfied the other 2 hours in the sleeper at the receiver. At which time, “presto” I have my full clock, minus what I used after the 8 hours break in the sleeper. There was no 14 hour violation PERIOD. But needless to say, the DOT officer began to twist himself into knots trying to show me how I was “driving beyond 14 hours” the day before. After two minutes of trying to convince him that he was wrong, I realized that it wasn’t going to work. So I cut my losses and continued on with my deliveries. I will try to attach a screenshot of my logs for that day. At any rate, I have had my logs reviewed by my safety department, a compliance officer, as well as KeepTrukin compliance, and everyone has confirmed that there was no violation.

I don’t even know what question to ask you guys, because this is the craziest thing I have seen in a long time. So you guys have at it.

Bean Jr. and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SeeSaw

SeeSaw Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2017
  4. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    The DOT officer doesn’t understand the HOS rules. Lawyer up and fight it in court.

5. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I fought the law and the law won!

6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Sue him in civil court. Your civil rights have been violated.

Get a lawyer it should be thrown out.

FlaSwampRat, D.Tibbitt, PE_T and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    You should Dataq the violation to get it off your record.

FlaSwampRat, TallJoe, skellr and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I dont think I would have given up... When it comes to my log book I run a tight ship. If they are tryimg to say that I jave a violation and I dont I'm pulling out the green book and askimg him to show me the regulation where it states that I am... And I show him the regulation where it explains split berthing. I think if all else failed I would have gone into the next open port in that state and had them check my log book and explain the situation to them to see if they could help me out.

9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    the signs start around Summerville. they are there big white signs with yellow on them.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well ... just from my point of view, here is why it CAN be considered a violation ... falsified logs.

Edit ... also it would be good to see the previous day, without it, it is missing some info.

When I looked at the log at point 11, your check in isn't supposed to be 29 seconds, if anything if you hit the gate at many places, it will take you four or five minutes there and then another five to ten to dock ... unless you the Flash. You get flagged at that point, then everything else is still on duty to the cop because of it.

This can be considered "falsified logs" by some prick cops, others will just violate you on the 11 or14.

As for driving in the left lane, I think the signs are a courtesy, many states don't allow trucks in the left or left two lanes unless there is an exit there and many states don't put up signs because it should be common sense.

roshea and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think there needs to be a yesterday put up in addition to this one.

Im not really willing to examine the situation based on just this one day logs.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.