I see now why people dont have their radios on.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by BlackThought, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I recognize the voices. I think I've picked y'all up before in central California

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I spent a lot of time running up and down Highway 99 and Route 101 calling produce.

Air Cooled Thanks this.
  4. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    That explains it. Especially if your on ch 17

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Only north of Route 46 would I be on channel 17. I haven't run California since 2010 and that video was less than a year ago and I was out here in Pennsylvania when I did that video

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Not gone through the thread yet but in these last cpl months the radio has basically been dead till your in a city..
    I usually have to get into toronto from nobascotia or down at the bottom of maine evore any radio traffic..
    Yeah my radio is off more than on now to and i hear all that crap the op posted as well..

7. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I still keep the radio on so I have a better chance of picking up useful information that can make a difference.

I do keep the squelch engaged in order to limit exposure to the idiocy floating around channel 19.

But I hate the thought of missing something important just because the radio-wave snipers of the world are hard at work making everybody else as bored and as miserable as they seem to be. I refuse to let those losers get me down.

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Part of my prob is 2 things..
    When radio is on and i turn on the stereo the head unit or sirius part makes my cb signal pulse...When i hit my highbeams(after market hid kit) The static goes mad and i have to bring up a good bit of squelch..Chances are ill miss a bit anyways..
    Dont know how the led lights in my new trk(when it comes)will affect my radio..

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you are far enough in the boonies you will get static. Your radio generally is good for a certain number of miles.

What I do is run with the radio very low below my hearing. If something changes in the traffic or on a different channel with shipper etc I will have it operating normal. But it's always up and ready to talk. But half the stuff on the air is junk and sometimes illegal in nature. With the volume very low to nothing, it does not get into the cab and make a bad environment.

In this age of digital communications, why we persist with analog communications is beyond me. We can make digital CB just as good if not much better than what the old Analog radios were in their day. I still have my CB that I ran with for almost 15 years almost 20 years ago making it almost 40 years old. It's still good to go once i hook up a computer power supply to it.

But sometimes depending on where you are in the USA it's a asset or a liability.

JReding Thanks this.
  10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Well ill have a digital radio but keep my analog just in case that lil fat douche bag drops the nuke somewhere and we get hit with an emp..lol
    But there are no digital cb radios yet so none for me..

Blaskowitz Thanks this.
  11. Blaskowitz

Blaskowitz Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Central South Carolina
    Everybody talks about "digital" radio like it is the best thing since the little tear lines in toilet paper. Unfortunately, "digital", while it may have less static than analog, usually has an equal or greater amount of distortion or weird noises and "space talk" as the signal becomes weaker or subject to interfering signals. Personally, I'll take the static over that, ANY day of the week. Just recently installed a real CB and real antenna on the car for the first time in years. It is actually kind of pleasant, comforting, even nostalgic, listening to the occasional burst of line noise or receiver noise through the squelch. Analog has fidelity that you will rarely if ever get on digital protocols, no matter how much they keep telling us that digital is clearer. It isn't. I have used Motorola Astro, D-STAR (a complete joke, IMHO), DMR, and P-25. The level of complication, and therefore potential for failure, goes up drastically when you leave analog for digital. Despite the bs about "the signal is either there or it isn't" with digital, this is rarely the case. Annoying beeps, boops, and assorted "space talk" are usually very common as the signal you receive gets weaker. The only digital where the "it's there or it's not" truly seems to be is on satellite radio such as XM-Sirius.

What could make a huge improvement for CB would be if the FCC and their Canadian counterpart would sanction narrowband (current protocol) FM use on CB. This offers improved audio, less static breaking the squelch, and "capture effect", whereby the stronger signal frequently decisively is heard over a slightly weaker signal. CTCSS could be added to really stop squelch breaks with bursts of noise. A standard PL tone (say 100.0 Hz), could be agreed upon for channels 9 and 19. Radios could be made for several years that would do AM/NFM or AM/NFM/SSB before any major switch to NFM.

Just my 2 cents...

Snow Walker and lilillill Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.