I think I figured out a routing design flaw in my Rand device.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I have noticed in the last year or so that my Rand 730TD GPS likes to skip interstate exits then double back, adding time and miles to trips if I don't catch the routing flub.

It only seems to do this in interstate preferred mode. It happened to me again the other day, very close to final, so when I stopped, I looked at the intersection.

The problem seems to be that interstate exit and entry ramps, and bridges over interstates are not considered interstates.

This means that if you are Northbound on an interstate and need to exit West to a NON interstate, the GPS sees a longer interstate route and shorter non-interstate route (in some cases) if you go to the next exit, then double back. If you are Northbound, and exit East, there won't be a misroute.

Rand could dramatically reduce incidents of retarded routing by designating all interstate off and on ramps as interstates, as well as all bridges crossing interstates that are also connected to off or on ramps.

Yes, I sent this info to Rand, but I figure if everyone starts pestering them, it might get fixed sooner.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Did you try Mark King on this forum he is the rep for Rand McNally here give him a shout

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It will also do that if it thinks you can't turn left into the destination. It will route you past and come back the other way for a final right turn. Do you remember the destination? Maybe the map data is inaccurate for that street.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Paper Atlas would fix that. :)

#1don and Maj. Jackhole Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    The map data looked good, at least the physical road layout.

It happened as I was westbound on I90 in Illinois, needing to go Southbound on IL-59.

Routing with interstate preferred skipped the exit, went to the next exit, then turned me around Eastbound on 90 back to the correct exit.

Routing with avoid small roads routed me to the correct exit.

I'm fairly certain the issue is what I described. Interstate ramps (and bridges connected to them that cross interstates) should be designated as interstates for more accurate routing.

This issue is not a rare issue. I just had not had time and desire to look at it closely before.

7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I know to watch for it. The paper atlas does still see some use, but it tends to be even more out of date for construction data than the GPS.

8. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Never used gps in a truck. I use it in my car if I am going somewhere I dont know.

9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    @Mark Kling Is the guy.

I've noticed this issue as well

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Nope,, that is not the case.. But you are right,, Off ramps/On ramps/Overpasses cannot be considered a Interstate due to the fact that they are not an Interstate. They are an Off/On ramp or Overpass.

This sounds like more a restriction issue than a routing issue. Have you tried in car mode to see how it routes?

Give me examples. I can only test with examples and not general ideas.

BTW - I asked this to be moved to the support thread which is right below this.. a more correct place.

Mark

11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Median on the older maps were not seen as a valid crossover. So, yes it could not route you.

Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.