I think im hired

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Garththomas, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I got my AZ last Wednesday and i called the company that was the best to deal with and seemed the most interested in hiring me fresh from getting my license. The recruiter asked if I could come in for a test drive the next day. I said sure even though I was still wired and unable to sleep through the night after the MTO road test. It went well and she then asked if I could stop for a physical and drug test that afternoon but I was too tired and said so, she made me an appointment for the next day Friday and so i went. Monday was the beginning of orientation and today Thursday I'm done. A bit of a whirlwind but I consider myself lucky that I found this outfit Contrans. They have there #### together, orientation was spot on and my trucking school could learn a lesson on organization and presentation. I'm very happy, next week I'm working with the shunt crew which is good since Ontario is in the middle of four different trailer standards as far as flatbed goes so I'll get lots of practice dealing with the different axle configurations.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Good to get some miles on before the snow flies
    I'm originally from London but would not have a clue where to work. City was much smaller in '76
    Good luck

Garththomas Thanks this.
  4. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    @Dye Guardian works for them, maybe he can give you some pointers and advice about the company.

Contrans Group is a big company consisting of several other companies like Laidlaw, ECL, Peter Hodge, Glen Tay and others.. Not sure how easy it is too move from company to company, but it may make is easier if you wanted to get into bulk, aggregates, waste to go to one of the other companies.

Good luck and be safe out there!!!

Garththomas and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  5. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Contrans will keep you busy

Garththomas and Dye Guardian Thank this.
  6. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    I started with them new over two years ago and I'm still at it, so I guess that says something. I'm on my way out to Alberta with a load right now.

Garththomas Thanks this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Moving from company to company within a group is usually not a big deal. What you might find is wages/benfits differ significantly. I considered hauling flatbed trains within our group until I crunched the numbers. Keep in mind 140,000 does not move up a grade at any great rate of speed no matter how many ponies are pulling. I pitched my tarp endorsement out the window:)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Macneil Thanks this.
  8. Macneil

Macneil Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Sudbury, ON., Canada
    Used to haul 140k with 600 horse. Found that 500 horse and 80k gross and hauling interstate paid way better lol

Dye Guardian Thanks this.
  9. Garththomas

Feb 10, 2017
    I just spent the week strapping and tarping for training, mostly I stayed out of the way of the guys who do it all the time and tried to learn what I could.They had a tarping machine and we would stretch the tarps on the floor and clip then to this rack that went up in the air high enough for a truck to drive under then it would lower and release the tarp to be strapped down. We had to pull a few tarps off loads coming in but mostly it was unrolling and stretching them out for the machine. We also strapped the loads down before and after tarping depending on the configuration. Those tarps are sure heavy and they are like lifting a dead body especially if they aren't rolled right and tight which was usually the case.This week and next I'm training hauling local so probably a daycab, delivering drywall I'd imagine. Thats the Number 1 product Haggersville seams to move.

10. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    You lift dead bodies on a normal basis? That is a unique comparison, unless you have a second profession we don't know about haha...

I hated tarping when I did flatbed, but once you get a good system down it's easy. The only things that make it no so fun is weather and odd shaped loads. Drywall is always easy cause it's a squared of load, as well as most wood loads.. I never had the opportunity to use a machine to put the tarps over the load, got any pictures of this machine?

steve092 Thanks this.
  11. Garththomas

Feb 10, 2017
    I had planned to take pictures but kept forgetting. Maybe next week if I remember I'll take some. All the excitement lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.