I thought it was just a rare occurrence....

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by BillyBobFrank, Mar 14, 2023.

1. BillyBobFrank

BillyBobFrank Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2022
    My company is incorporating more flying J's/pilots and removing most loves as an option to fill up, so I decided to give a flying J shower a try for the first time. Turns out everyone is correct when they mention the showers are never ready at night at these truck stops. I waited 1.5 hrs for a shower to open up and for some reason the app didn't notify me my shower was ready, so I went in to talk to an employee. She told me they have showers, but they're dirty and it'll take at least least half an hour to start cleaning them. I never had issues like this at loves and I just went to a loves the next day. At this rate I'll end paying for showers at Loves lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Don't judge all the Flying Js (or any chain truck stops) based on one experience. If you go to the Flying J in Dallas or Denver, yeah you're gonna wait. But not all are like that.

4. PureLeafTea

PureLeafTea Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2013
    I agree. For whatever reason flying J seems to be the worst especially at night, but it can be anytime. If I want a shower right now TA/petro seems to be the most available or quickest followed by pilot then Loves then Flying J. Don’t dismiss the independents. Some have decent showers with no wait ever and best of all they’re cheap. I paid $7 recently at one in SC. I’ll pay that all day vs only stopping where I have a shower credit.

5. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Try showering at the Love's in Tulare, California. Always a wait.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Just save the water and use the windshield squeege bucket at the fuel island

7. Space Truckin

Space Truckin Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2023
    Venus, Mars, and Tampa, FL
    My experience was there was often a wait around sundown or whatever time most drivers shut down around that part of the country. Could be even earlier in the afternoon in places with less parking. Made sense to me which was why I would try and avoid showering at those times. Other places, the showers seemed to be busy in the morning.

Other than that, any particular location could just be having a problem with help, whether finding any to begin with or simple laziness.

The app is usually key to being able to wait in the relative comfort of your own truck. It worked for me almost always, but there were a few times it didn't.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Reason loves has clean showers at night is cause the person manning the diesel desk is always cleaning them. Thats why you stand and wait so long at night for help unless you go to the gas side

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Attn: staff shortage. It's everywhere. I see "hostesses" at Applebees bussing tables ! ! Busboys making drinks at restaurants. Managers delivering food to customers ! ! Cashiers cleaning showers at Loves !

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Anytime after about 1400, even 1300, you might wait just about anywhere.

Off peak showering goes hand in hand with off peak fueling.

You'll discover some showers that are awful in places that you'd not suspect, and vice versa.

11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Well, theres the problem, youre going to applebee's

Opus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.