I WANT A PRE-EMISSIONS TRUCK

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JR28262, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

And thats how a resourceful person looking to save money gets into trucking.

I went the generator route with both of my trucks. 100% reliable and save me an average of $10k - $12k in fuel by reduced idling. Much cheaper, more reliable than setting up an APU,.. oh,. and much quieter.

Some people cringe on Freightliners,.. say what you want,.. but they are some of the toughest ugly money making trucks out here.

When starting out,.. buy the truck you need. Then when you can afford it,.. you get the truck you want.

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JR28262

JR28262 Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I saw that truck and i liked it but im in NC 2800 miles away. Thx for the info though

4. JR28262

Oct 25, 2018
    Sorry old timer never liked pete's or kw
    But thank you anyway

5. JR28262

Oct 25, 2018
    I really like the old volvo's i want one so bad

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I never said anything about Petes or KW's.

Truck is just a tool to get a job done. With out the correct tool for the job needed to perform,.. you are just spitting in the wind. Getting a truck is the easy part.

Your going to go through a trial and error process that everyone has gone through,.. you'll either figure it out and survive,.. or throw your hands up and fail. Good luck.

Hurst

7. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    It sounds like yours had more preventative maintenance done during its life than just changing the oil every once in awhile. The problem is finding an old truck that has been taken care of that way. I still don’t think it’s a good idea to buy an old, high mileage truck unless you have the resources to do a lot of things yourself. I say that, due to the high possibility you’re getting a worn out truck that’s going to require some time to bring to 100%.

KB3MMX, JR28262, AModelCat and 4 others Thank this.
  8. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I actually found the truck on truckpaper . com, the first day it was posted.

Everything about the truck - the way it looked in the pics, the way the ad was written, indicated that it had definitely been taken care of. I called on it the day it was posted, and told the seller that if it was indeed in the condition described, I would be handing him cash on the day that I arrived to inspect it.

He put me off for a week, because he was OTR with his other truck. During that week, he had received offers for more than the asking price, but I was the first to show up with the cash when he got back.

Like I said, it wasn't 100% when I got it, but I drove it home on the coldest day of the season (-10F) at $2000 over scrap price.

KB3MMX, Rideandrepair and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    That volvo has 1.1 million on the clock. Rebuild coming up soon. At least rods and mains. Rebuild will cost ya $27k at volvo...something to think about

JR28262 Thanks this.
  10. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I do not remember the model numbers. What came before the FE7's. I never really wanted one but they were not all bad. Not many trucks can do a u-turn on a two lane road with a little help from someones driveway. That is while dragging a 28' pup.

KB3MMX and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    @Hurst I had 2015 company truck for six months, 3 DEF failures. I am reluctant to own this garbage. I drive a 2006 fleet Pete and I really like it. I am in the same situation as the OP. I'll be buying probably in the next few months and have the newer/older question in my head. I appreciate your words because my gut says stick with k.i.s.s. on the first one just have a maintenance budget ready for the day I need it.

The_Great_Corn and JR28262 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.