I WANT A PRE-EMISSIONS TRUCK

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JR28262, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Whether you get a gem or a lemon has always been the luck of the draw.

JR28262 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    C6DA0167-9632-4C87-9137-D4C3F0D33A58.jpeg Bought this a couple months ago. Have not worked it yet only bobtailed it home 250 miles

Runs great doesn’t smoke and has no drips or leaks
    97 I paid $15000 for

Clean original paint and interior. Motor has million 175 on it but has recent new heads

N-14 with a 13 speed speced correctly for overtheroad.

Could go to work tomorrow with it but I am sinking $5000 into steers,clutch,motor mounts
    Brakes and chambers, hoses and fluid changes along with rebuilding 5th wheel.

This is with me doing all the labor.

I wasn’t looking for a International or a Cummins but this was a clean one owner well maintained truck for a great price.

KB3MMX, rank, Oxbow and 4 others Thank this.
  4. maconhadalata

maconhadalata Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2014
    newark, nj
    I'm from Jersey. And here I am in seattle...but I really wanted a 770. And I really love cat power, so I didn't mind coming here. I missed 3 770 around Jersey.If you have money, just wait. Money talks.

5. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    Yeah, I'm looking pretty hard. Getting to know the market. That has helped me in the past to have an idea of what the market will bare for what I want to spend. I am really comfortable in the 379 so my search is centered on those. The Cascadia and Volvos were not as comfortable for me. I haven't had the chance to drive an International (semi) or Mack so I can't speak to their comfort. I didn't hate the Cascadia I had at SNI, brand new, auto. In fact its transmission operated better than the Pete auto I had in the 2015.

6. maconhadalata

Dec 11, 2014
    newark, nj
    Lol. Same as me when a bought a 99 9400 with a 3406e. Paid 5000. But lost track of how much I put on that truck. Engine, transmission,rears. All rebuilt now.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. maconhadalata

Dec 11, 2014
    newark, nj
    Buy something that you really like. I cant complain about my 9400, runs strong ,rarely drops a gear climbing the hills on the 80 in pa and gets decent mileage. But is not for me lol..I bought 2 trucks that I never liked just to learn that. Spent a lot of money on them but was never happy.

JR28262, Rideandrepair and tommymonza Thank this.
  8. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @Tug Toy has a good thread worth reading.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Just keep one main thing in your mind. Pretty much any truck you buy,.. be it from an O/O, a company fleet truck or from a dealer or auction. You are buying a truck that is going to need some work done to it,.. its most likely exceeded its useful mileage and will start needing some nickel and dime things that most dont want to fool with. No one sells a perfectly good money making truck that needs nothing unless your a leprechaun with the luck of the Irish,. dont count on it.

If you are not mechanically inclined enough to do most things yourself,.. like changing out the air dryer/assembly. Rebuilding/replacing the compressor,.. CAC,.. turbo/s, air lines, brake chambers, drums/shoes, clutch etc,.. then make sure you have the money set aside before you ever buy the truck to cover these things. They will eventually come as mileage increases. And they usually happen when you least expect it.

Learn to do as much as you can yourself. Learn to do or at least recognize when to do as much preventative maintenance as you can. When ever I'm home or my driver comes in,.. I will usually spend at least a full day going over each truck and trailer front to back,.. inside and out,.. looking for anything that may cause a problem while out on the road. The idea is to correct it before it becomes a money pit problem with added expenses of going down while under a load. Then your talking about tow bills, possible hotel expenses,. road side repairs, truck rental expenses etc. A $15 hose can cost you $300 for a mobile mechanic to come out and replace, plus adding coolant. Better to replace it at home than out on the road where it can hurt the motor if your not careful.

Going O/O will pretty much double your working hours compared to a company driver. If not,.. then you are not doing your job and will most likely fail at some point. Its a 24/7 process of keeping the truck roadworthy and finding business to keep everything going. Its not like being a company driver and coming in for home time and thats it. That truck needs to be ready and 100% before you head back out. You never know what you will find until you look for it.

Hurst

10. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Not a big fan of the seating position in my International along with that Funky brake pedal.

I’ll run with and see if the upright steering column and pedal grows on me , otherwise it’s getting corrected

I do love the exterior looks and the huge sleeper

KB3MMX and JR28262 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.