I WANT A PRE-EMISSIONS TRUCK

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JR28262, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Which mini split did you buy? How well has it worked and what size generator?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I bought a Klimaire 9000btu from heatandcool.com, and a Champion gasoline fueled pure sine wave 3200 watt generator from homedepot.com Yes, I bobtail to the gas pump to fill it.

Worked very well for the cooling season. The generator has a 1.6 gallon tank, which is ALMOST enough. I just purchased a 3 gallon spun aluminum tank (meant for drag racing) to add to the capacity, which is capped at 5 gallons total by Federal regulation. Federal regulations require that any auxiliary liquid fueled equipment installed on a truck tractor be fed with a fuel pump, and not gravity fed. So I also purchased a Facet 1.5psi fuel pump to install on the generator. I plan to T the two tanks together. The lower tank will have a check valve so the fuel from the upper tank won't flow down and overflow it. The upper tank will have an anti-siphon valve installed for the same reason.

I'm having all that installed next weekend.

FWIW, the heating side of the unit is working great as well, but the proof will come when temps dip into the teens.

I don't lay over very often right now, so it's not a huge deal.

4rdtruck, JR28262 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Didn’t know about 5 gal or fuel pump rules Few examples of gas tans mods on Utube.Thanks, been looking for mini split less than 12000 btu. Remote start generator would be nice. Hard to find small one. Too big defeats purpose / fuel cost savings.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    8 lanes Minimum u- turn in my Classic w/ stops backed off.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Buying what you want takes the sting out of repairs.... somewhat

KB3MMX and maconhadalata Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Finding a balance that will make money and not cost too much is hard to do. I’ve gotten so many miles out of mine. It almost doesn’t matter. Still like to keep money made.It’s a gamble as anything mechanical can fail at anytime.Usually something unexpected.Easy to overspend. My experience with Older Trucks is Needs First -wants have to wait as another Need May occur at any time. In order to be cost efficient.And stay out of debt.

JR28262 and tommymonza Thank this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    This is eld free truck , go to dealer and get paper it's 1999 engine

9. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    The Champion generator that I bought is remote start.

I'll see if I can post pics of the fuel pump mod if I'm not too busy trying to pay the bills.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

1.6 gal is a small tank. Doesnt make sense why some of those have such small tanks. I suppose they are meant for job sites,.. but even so,.. under certain loads I think even 8 hours would be tought with just 1.6 gal.

My Honda holds 3.5 gals plus I carry two additional 2 gal plastic cans. It will run on eco mode for almost 20 hours straight on light loads. 1500 watt heater puts a load on it and will only do 14 - 15 hours with that running.

Can easily sit out a 34hr restart or an entire weekend with full tank and both gas cans.

I think its more of a hassle to drop the landing gear, unplug everything and bob tail than it is to just carry the 2 cans to the car islands. Only time it really sucks is in the rain,.. or when its freezing cold.

Hurst

Broke Down 69, KB3MMX and rank Thank this.
  11. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    On the subject of 120 volt electrical needs.

Currently in my company truck I live off a 3500 watt Cobra inverter and 4 cheap old tired group 27 batteries that have been flattened 20 times in the last 8 months and were Krap when I received my truck

They still run my 40 inch TV and the ice maker along with the 5 cubic foot built in frig/ freezer and my additional electric cooler for 10 hours at night.

My day starts out hitting the start switch in the morning hoping for the best. So far so good.

Strike up the 10 cup coffee maker and turn the TV on.

When the coffee is done I can fire up the convection toaster oven or the hot plate for some bacon eggs or toast.

Just can’t fire everything up at once.

Once breakfast is done I shut down the coffee maker and fire up the ice maker for iced leftover coffee later in the day.

Meanwhile the fridge/freezer and electric cooler had never been offline.

Rest of the day I have 2 big subs that run off 120 off the inverter with the ice maker

My personal truck I have a nice older 5000 watt inverter/ charger and a old noisy 5000watt gas generator.

Both acquired for 0$

Thinking big battery bank for Future 120 needs

You could buy two banks of four 8ds for what you will spend on fuel for a generator for a year

6 volt golf cart batteries ran in a series is very affordable also

Mermaid has been building 12 volt a/c units for boats for 15 years. Quality simple units with small demand efficient motors

A good solar panel on the flat top part of me bunk would keep the batteries up enough that I would not have to unpack the frig every time I leave the truck

Other alternative for frig is RV propane frig but don't know the legal aspects with a CMV , just looking for a solution for leaving the truck for days at a time without worrying about unpacking frig and freezer

Last winter I set the Webasco at the lowest setting just enough to keep the chill out of the 20 degree nights with out drying out the air too much that the humidifier is replenishing

2 big thick quality down comforters keep me toasty as long as I stay under the covers

Get up in the morning and crank up the Detroit with crossed fingers and crank the Webasco up to High along with the coffee pot.

Cant beat a little Honda 2000 or the cheap harbor freight knock offs onboard for emergencies though. Every one should own one.

Powered our window shaker for a week in Florida after Charlie hit

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.