I want to be a number

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CommDriver, Apr 11, 2012.

Being a number vs being part of the "family"

Poll closed Aug 9, 2012.
  1. *

I don't care if I'm just a number, I want miles and pay

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. I need to people to say hello to me by name when I come into the terminal

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. *

I need to be able to call and have someone to talk to who knows me

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. *

I will take lower pay if I'm treated well or like family

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Be treated as a number vs be treated like "family."

I don't mind being treated like a number and being identified by my truck number.

I really think the places that promote the whole "family" thing are mostly a charade. Inside workers really do hate drivers even if they were drivers once. Eventually they hate drivers. I worked locally for awhile at on OTR small company, and every day it was one thing after another criticizing and making fun of drivers in one way or another. There were a couple of exceptions. But it was mostly bash drivers all day long, but put on an act when they come in and pretend they are family.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    If your a company driver a number is fine, but O.O id rather be treated like family.

4. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    You responded before I got my poll options up. I imagine there are some variations and maybe a balance to be reached.

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I drive for a company that has thousands of drivers, and I seldom actually get to my home terminal.

I can't really expect to be known by my name, most times.

I met my DM, once, so we could put faces to names and numbers.
    I can call him and use just my name, and he will know who I am.
    He can even associate my name with my truck number, sometimes.
    He even remembers that I have daughters, and asks about them.

I think that is all I can really expect.

Wiseguywireless and CommDriver Thank this.
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    It does'nt matter to me.If you get in good with your dispatcher then he or she will know you more then just a number.Last company I drove for knew us by our voice.It was a company of 20 drivers.One company is about the same as another, trk number or voice get that load delivered pu load,blah blah blah.They're pretty much all the same in one way or another.

CommDriver Thanks this.
  7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Your name could be like member 123456 and it really doesn't matter! :biggrin_2559:

DrtyDiesel and CommDriver Thank this.
  8. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I don't know. Been with the mega carriers and now drive for a small 60 truck company 20 miles from my house. They know my name and are good people that really have no desire to screw the driver. I bust my rear for these guys and in exchange get all the miles I want and go home for however long I want.

The big companies are full of stupid rules designed to keep steering wheel holders in their seat for the 2 months they will work there. Don't even get me started on the whole "safety mentality" I am safe because my livelihood depends on it and I enjoy my job. To each their own, this job is kind of a struggle at times because of the low wages these idiot CDL mills pay. So you might as well work for a company that tosses you a fuel card and preferably a brand new truck and just leaves you alone to get the job done.

CommDriver Thanks this.
  9. seabring

seabring Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I have been both, a number and an "in the family" driver. Pros and cons to both.
    As a number you definately dont have that personal connection to the office staff. This can affect you when decisions are made regarding a drivers preference for time off or a particular load etc. Can be a good thing when the situation forces your hand and you just cut ties and move on, no personal feelings or conflicts come into it, just pure business.
    Being "in the family" is in my opinion better as you get to know the people you work with and can build a lasting professional relationship, thats almost allways better. It can become sticky though when the office staff use that to their advantage , ie "c'mon buddy you can run a few more miles today cant ya?" or " hey driver I'm in a bind, you can make it happen for me ,yeah?". Harder to say no or make harsh demands when you feel like you might insult your "friend". Best way to work is to be professional and courteous but firm in sticking to your guns. Being in the family is good, just dont get taken advantage of . Being a number is worse because mostly you will just get shafted and no one will care less.

striker and CommDriver Thank this.
  10. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    I'm very lucky and fortunate to be #1,000,000

CommDriver Thanks this.
  11. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Miles don't equal pay......

And I could care less if I'm a number or they know me by name as long as the rates are good and I'm making money, because we all end up as a statistic anyways in the end.

BigBadBill and CommDriver Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.