I want to be far away from home....

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by Kix, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kix

Kix Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I want to drive anywhere and everywhere. Out West, into Canada, down to Florida, hell even Mexico. I don't care about hometime, I want to be away from home and on the road.

what's the best company for me?

None of these companies that mostly run east of the Missi. and never to NYC & Canada etc.

Thanks in adv.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Well, without a CDL, you could alway's be a flea on the Grey Dog (Greyhound). Schooling isn't cheap. Do you know anything about trucking?

4. Kix

Kix Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I will be going to a company school hopefully.

I have a lot of money, no prob there.

I know enough about trucking that I want to be in it. Maybe for only 1-3 yrs to travel but I want to try it, seems fun to me.

5. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    I don't see anything fun about it. It's not a sit on your ### job and drive. There is a #### load of responsibility and it's anything but routine. It's not just a job or career, it's a whole different kind of lifestyle. If your going to spend the cash then you might want to research more before you make a decision because spending that kind of money for a temporary career trade is hardly worth the effort. Most people who get in it these day's don't make it through school or simply can't hack the lifestyle and working conditions. Better give it some serious thought. Reason why a lot of us get in it is because we are born into it or have had some part of it involved and influenced in our personal life. Most take it as a sit on your ###, see the country side and get paid for it kind of outlook and that's no where near close. Think hard!

simplyred1962 and roaddawg92 Thank this.
  6. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    By the way, Welcome to the forum. Not trying to put ya down bud, but just trying to make sure your not going to be another one of "those" that get's in and loose's a lot after finding out the hard way that it's not what "they thought" it was. There's entirely to much of that going on lately. I'm sure that that's something all of us driver's here can agree on. "Fun", that start's to wear off in a short time. You have to have more of a love for it than anything. Even going to a company school, you will be under some kind of contract and if you don't fulfill that contract and find out a month later you don't like it you still get hit with having to pay back the fund's for your schooling. Then, your stuck with a bill, without a job, and a DL meant for job use that is of no use to you because you don't like it.

I was born into trucking. I've even tried to get out of it twice after getting my foot in the door but just like the rest of the guy's and gal's here, it's in the blood and we plainly do it for the love of it next to having to make a living. Nothing fun about it anymore. It's getting to be more of a pain in the ### with all the rules and reg.'s constantly being thrown at us. It can get you in just as much trouble as it can do you good if your not careful to what your doing.

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Son, I'm here to tell you those are the wrong reasons to get into trucking. You have to have the burning desire to jump in with both feet and deal with whatever is thrown at you and brush off any negativity. You'll be in control of a $100,000 plus truck and a payload worth much more. Time will be your enemy. No calling in sick. You deal with bad weather, police agencys, road construction, wacko drivers, rude security guards, funky equipment, lonely nights away from wifey, never ending strange faces/places, boring weekends 1000 miles from home, very little money in your pocket, filthy restrooms, and way too many low life people coming at you daily. Don't take my word for it, look at this forum and the turnover rate in the industry. But, if you're a very strange being, not from this planet and adventuresome like myself, you'll fit right in.

8. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Hey, stop holding back on us!! We want the bad news too!:laughing-guffaw:

9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    # Allow_me: ####, you explained it better than I did. Thank you. That all pretty much wrap's it up in a nut shell.

lmao # oldnewbiegonnabe

JustSonny and simplyred1962 Thank this.
  10. Kix

Kix Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I'm taking my chances with truck driving. I'm very optimistic and if it doesn't work out, thats okay, can't say I didn't try it. I don't have much to lose. I'm almost 22 yrs old, I've been a farmer all my life, I can't take it anymore. I do the same crap, every day, every year, looking at the same stuff. I DO NOT want to inherit this farm, if I stay any longer it will be mine, I can't have that. I want anything but routine. I've never left the state of Wisconsin, EVER!! The biggest city I've been to is freakin Appleton! I gotta get outta dodge. I need adventure. And, I think this is the best time of my life to do this, I don't have a wife/gf, no kids, no family, etc.

I'm probably goning with Werner, maybe Swift. Millis and Roehl are close by, but they're not big enough for my liking it seems.

11. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    If you're gonna do it...I'll recommend Schneider, they got me off to a good start.

Suck it up, make it happen, take the BS, keep the DMV record clean, its just a job...most of all, BE SAFE.

Wiseguywireless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.