i want to start a hotshot carrer what all do i need to get started

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by andy789, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andy789

andy789 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    hi guys Im new to this hotshot business and i recently purchased a 3/4 ton truck (not a dually)and a 30' gooseneck flatbed with a 14000lb capacity that being said do i need a cdl since i would be under 26000lbs and what all do i need to do to get started as far as paper work dot numbers and equiptment thank you in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I have the same 3/4 ton truck and a 35.5 foot Kaufman GVWR 14,000 no you don't need a CDL for that setup as for obtaining DOT and MC you need proof of liability insurance and cargo insurance, you need your license to operate from the secretary of state business legal name. When I got my DOT number it was free but the MC# cost me around $300.00 before they assign it and then you have to wait at least 30 days for your final authority to be granted. You can not operate just because you have your DOT and MC numbers you need to be granted authority. You will also need a registered agent for your business and a blanket process agent for DOT to file your MCS forms. It's gonna take a good month or two before you can actually operate under your authority.

CMC1, andy789, texasbbqbest and 2 others Thank this.
  4. andy789

andy789 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    thank you for the reply one of my other concerns is my plates.Im assuming i need comercial plates to drive interstate?Also since im under 26k and dont have a cdl do i need to enroll in a dot compliant drug and alcohol consortium?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  5. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    In NC if you want to run interstate you need For-Hire plates. The most you can put weight wise on the For-Hire plate is 26,000 pounds. If you go over that you will need Apportioned plates and at that point you need a CDL. If you don't have a CDL and are under 26,000 you do not need to be in a drug consortium, you do need to have a valid Medical Card regardless of you not having a CDL. You will have to have a DQ done for your initial New Entrant Audit from DOT. I went through Foley Carrier Services they did everything, the DQ which is your driving record and background checks if you have employees. You also need to file your UCR for 2017 I am not sure if your past the point for 2016 filing. But keep this in mind even after you have all your papers in order and you get your DOT/MC numbers you still wont have your authority granted for at least 30 days.

59MackB61 and andy789 Thank this.
  6. andy789

andy789 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    No i havent done anything yet just trying to get a list of what all i need to get before i jump to deep im hoping to start up by january

7. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    If you want to be up and running by January then you need to get the ball rolling now. First thing is to get your business established in the state your in by registering with the Secretary of State and figuring out if you want to be an LLC or S-Corp or Sole Propiritor. I recommend an LLC only because of the seperation of personal and business assets. I went through Legal Zoom it was costly but they did everything in about 7 days then I was able to move onto the next steps. Insurance, getting my DOT and MC numbers and authority. It will take time my friend so above all be PATIENT VERY PATIENT. I will be happy to answer any questions you have concerning hauling auto's as for freight and oil rig stuff I know nothing about that but there are guys on here that have been doing it for a long time and they are more then willing to help you. They helped me and I am finally succeeding in business. Just be open minded to people some of these guys are a bit rough around the edge but they WILL NOT steer you in the wrong direction. Just take advice and research as much as you can. The more you know personally the better you will be once you get going.

Brjema, Code3nAZ, rtyr1c and 3 others Thank this.
  8. andy789

andy789 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    So where do you guys suggest me get my dot mc and authority from? Is there any sites I should stay away from?

9. Ryan S2016

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Your best and really only option should be from the FMCSA itself. If you go through 3rd party companies they will charge you way more than the actual DOT will. The information you will need to provide is basic and if your on the FMCSA site completing the app you can call or even chat with a live agent to walk you through the process. It's up to you but IMO why pay someone else your hard earned money to do what you can do yourself for free.

andy789 Thanks this.
  10. andy789

andy789 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    thank you very much that was very useful especially with all the other third parties charging 3 times as much!!! Also another one of my questions is do i need to run a log book and do i need to pull in for scales?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  11. BigKountry

BigKountry Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2015
    Eastern NC
    Hey @Ryan S2016 can I pm you? I have a 2007 Ram 3500, that I want to put my brother in to keep him out of trouble and make us both some $$$. Since your also in NC, i figured you could help me out with some questions I have

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.