I was Locked out of truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Mar 10, 2021.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    In five years I've locked my self out of the trucks several times. I would say ten is a good safe number.
    Now over time I have taken a few precautions to limit this from happening. The most recent, I have a spare in my pocket zip tied to the belt loop. I changed today and forgot to transfer the key with my belt.
    So I have vested some where about 700 to 750.00 in locksmiths. Well today I made up my mind enough of that garbage.
    I went into a T.A and bought that slim Jim package. After reading every thing on it. The how too's and the what fors. I realise that they are selling me a car slim Jim for a truck.
    No I have no idea how to use this stuff, so I tried every thing in the package. Below you will find a picture of the best items in that package to use. I'm gona give the rest of it to the trash metal pile when I get home.
    The wedge goes on the out side of the window. The hook pops the lock lever in a couple seconds. This truck has manual non power locks. I spent 25 mins trying every thing. In this package.this did it in literal seconds. That other stuff might work on cars. Hope this helps aome one. 1615431038969683027364.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How?????

I leave the cab of any vehicle the keys come with me or the window gets rolled down. Never had a problem.

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Zip tie one or 2 under the hood or in the battery box out of site even if someone is looking for one.

Johny41, okiedokie, Opus and 12 others Thank this.
  5. Flyingdriver

Flyingdriver Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Walla Walla WA
    My company issued me my 2021 Cascadia today. It came with two keys. Sometime tomorrow when I get the chance one of those keys is getting zip tied somewhere under my hood.

I too try to always leave my drivers window open enough that I can reach in & unlock the doors. I'm a bit anal retentive about that sort of thing.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Usually keys come with me. Dang tweakers are everywhere these days.

Deere hunter, bzinger, JC1971 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    What do you do when the slim Jim is locked in the truck?

8. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    A magnetic key holder is an option. That's what I use.

stillwurkin, Tb0n3, slow.rider and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I don’t lock the door before shutting it.
    I’ve made a habit to shut the door and lock it with the key.

10. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    You have a brain problem, not a key problem. You're not learning from your mistakes, especially when they have a financial price attached to them. All it took me was locking my keys in the truck once and having to pay a locksmith $100 to let me in. It stung bad, and it forced me to get some extra keys made. I still lock my keys out of the truck, but now I'm covered.lol

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.