I was Locked out of truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Mar 10, 2021.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Peterbilts didn’t come with an ignition key until the new 359’s came out in 1973. My ‘73 352 coe does not have one. If they have them they have been added on later. Most install them into the cigar lighter hole under the switch panel in the dash.
    Cummins powered trucks had a toggle on dash marked “ignition”. Flip it on and push start button. Flip it off to shutdown. Cats had the big switch with the built in key were turned counterclockwise to warm the glow plugs then clockwise to start.

Only needed a key for doors and glovebox in those days. Some sleepers had outside locks some didn’t but all locked from inside.

Door locks were OPTIONAL until about 1962 on Petes. No one messed with a big tough truckers truck back then.

Speed_Drums, bzinger and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    This is a ‘71 359 that I recently got. The previous jackwagon caretaker replaced the toggle with the key switch by drilling bigger hole through the expensive to replace brass chrome etched plate instead of putting it in the cigar lighter hole next to the start switch under it. The key chain marred up the fave a little too. Aggravating.
    B37B5103-067B-463F-8589-EFDE6860BDC0.png

Speed_Drums and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yes they could... And yes that thought was a consideration when I was putting it together. That steel ring with the keys would do some serious damage swinging at the end of the chain retractor, or if used as a fist pack. Not the greatest defense tool, but its a wholenlot better than nothing, and its always within easy reach.

bzinger and feldsforever Thank this.
  5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    This must be an issue with older trucks. Or at least not a kenworth. I can't look my keys in my truck if I tried. It doesn't look if the door is open. You have to use the key to lock it. Guess due to too many people locking their keys inside.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Be careful using a slim-jim on a car. If you slide it down inside the door it can hook to electrical wiring and cause damage to the electric door locks or any other electrical wiring inside the door.

7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I can't believe anyone would have the problem of locking themselves out of their home, I mean rig, more than once. Get a magnetic key holder!! There are million places to hide it on a truck or trailer.

I have 4 keys. There's always one in the ignition and a second in my pocket. A third is in a mag holder hidden on the truck. The 4th is hanging on the key rack at home in case my wife ever needs it.

Oh, and to you Volvo haters, you can't lock yourself out of one. You can only lock the doors from outside with a key. If you have a new one with keyless entry I'm not sure.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is why I’ve invested in AAA while I was on the road.

went to Atlanta, stopped at microcenter for a new hard drive and keyboard. Forgot the keys on the table and locked them door. Called AAA and they came out and opened it up.

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    My very first load after getting my CDL years ago I stepped out of my Crapcadia to put on my coat, and the wind blew the door shut with the engine running. Took a couple hours to get somebody out to unlock it. Since then I've only driven KW T680's and you can't lock the door from the inside then get out. I always keep my primary keys with the FOB in my left pocket, and a loose spare key in my right pocket. The loose key is like my wallet, always in my pocket and like losing a limb if it's not there.

10. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Keep spare key on key ring in pocket,, have since we got power locks. Some IHC had a tendency to lock on their own immediately after closing door you’d hear that “Oh Sheet click”!!!

bzinger and feldsforever Thank this.
  11. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    Thanks every one

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.