I Wonder Why My Wheel Seal Blew?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ProfessionalNoticer, Sep 19, 2022.

1. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Pulled the axle and found the lock nut just dangling off the shaft! Tons of play in the hub and a destroyed seal. I took the spindle nut off by hand...unreal.

I took the truck 175 miles away and spent the night in a hotel room because I thought they were worth the effort almost 1 year ago. I had them replace both differentials. Then they reinstalled the same ratios when I asked for 4.11s so had to stay an extra night so they could fix it.

Now, I have to deal with this mess. Don't get me wrong, it could have been way worse if I didn't catch it before it got out of hand but this never should have happened at all.

The last picture shows the culprit. They cross threaded the lock nut. I'm so sick of fixings other people's mistakes.

EDIT: The shop that did the differentials didn't do this. It just dawned on me that they never had to touch the nuts for the hub since all they had to do was pull the axles only. So the shop that put the hubs on did this actually. Glad I didn't throw any names out!

IMG_20220919_141937785_HDR.jpg IMG_20220919_142636458_HDR.jpg IMG_20220919_142623896_HDR.jpg IMG_20220919_142628536_HDR.jpg IMG_20220919_142640774_HDR.jpg IMG_20220919_173433065.jpg IMG_20220919_173511285.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Grubby#1, bzinger, RedForeman and 10 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What a mess. How could somebody not know that was cross threaded?

Answer: Just don't care. It'll be somebody else's problem.

Just sad.

That sucks large.

4. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Indeed. It spin about one entire revolution before it got tight. I knew this wasn't right. They should have too. After closer inspection I could see it wasn't even touching the dowel ring yet so it was obvious something was amiss. Luckily, the threads on the spindle aren't damaged but the nut surely is.

5. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    Probably not cross threaded , threads were riding on the spinning axle shaft and wore them down. That is if the threads on the axle tube are intact. Probably just not tightened enough.

6. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    That's certainly a possibility but that never should have happened either. They should be torqued to a couple hundred pounds at least. I'll be using 300 pounds when I put a new one on.

7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    It was leaking for a long time, It depends on if you can get a repair sleeve on the stiffed up axle where the seal rides on it, but you must order one if you cannot find one?

8. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    It was dry when I did my pretrip in the AM but when I stopped for fuel about 300 miles later I smelled that lovely aroma of gear lube then I saw my oil coated frame and inner tires. The axle and spindle threads are all fine. Luckily!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  9. Bigtruckdrivah

Bigtruckdrivah Light Load Member

May 31, 2020
    That blows. It’s a simple job to change the seal, not sure what the torque procedure is but on mine you go to like 250ftlbs, loosen then retighten to 75ftlb. When I take the nuts loose they never feel tight. I guess cause it’s such a large nut. I can see why they make the locking ring with detente on it now!

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The inner nut should always be hand loose when disassembling. They must have left the outer lock nut loose, lock washer was bad, or failed, maybe the threads were bad when they put it on. How would threads get damaged just from coming loose? No telling, would be good to know exactly how the lock nut threads got stripped.

11. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    300 ftlb is about right to lock the nuts together just make sure that your not over preloading the bearings when you do it. Usually there’s enough play in the threads that this can be a problem. I would tighten slowly while rotating the hub until it’s got a pretty good drag and then back off until the nut is finger tight. pay attention to how much seal drag there is then back off 1/4 turn put the locking device on and tighten the outer nut to 300 ftlb then make sure your not putting a lot of drag on the bearings ( why you paid attention to the seal drag on the step before). Depending on your threads that might be to much or not enough. possibly going to take a couple trys to get a very slight amount of preload or at least no flop in things after the outer nut is tight. Are there provisions to mechanically lock the outer nut as well. If not I would slip a lock ring in between it and the ring that locks the inner nut to the shaft. I have never liked when the outer nut is just jammed and not mechanically locked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.