I40 west of Ozark

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Raezzor, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Should make it an automatic reckless ticket to merge less than a few car lengths in front of a truck. Enforce it hardcore for a while till all these moron four wheelers get the picture.

So sad. RIP

longbedGTs, Lepton1 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yea that is a bad day, maybe there is a go pro camera inside the wreckage that will nail the car idiot to the wall for vehicular manslaugher times two counts.

Ammo, Hazmat A, basic response is to clear 5 miles radius and line of sight.

There is no point talking about the tire, the ones that matter here are the steers. If one of them failed during the manuver then that's that.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm sorry but I don't get it. Unless a passing vehicle moves over [too soon] and physically makes contact with your vehicle (clips you), I just can't see a scenario where you would "swerve" to the point of losing control unless perhaps we're talking about another big truck as opposed to a small automobile, and we're actually talking about moving over (intentionally or unintentionally) well before was actually clear and ahead.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    Was it a collision mitigation system that slammed on brakes and caused it?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    That s Baggett Transportation out of Birmingham. They haul a lot of military loads out of the Army depot near where I live

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Well... I was not there.

Ive horsed a big truck into another lane many times. When you do that you are asking the steers to carry several times the weight they are designed to carry in that moment. The forces to horse or swerve a 18 wheeler into another lane are very high.

If you were on ice in winter, you knew never to twist the steering wheel very fast because you can actually ruin the belts inside the sidewalls of your steer tires. Twist them all out of sorts. Now you have a rattling monster that wont balance and needs a new tire before your front end goes out of alignment among other problems.

Whatever the situation, I feel that the driver of the explosives truck moved however fast and hard he had to to avoid hitting the vehicle that cut him off. It's unfortunate that it got them killed. If the vehicle that cut em off has any sense at all he or she will go to the police and turn themselves in and take the punishment.

I don't expect cars to understand what Explosives A placards for ammunition subclass to look like and understand theres a whole lot of kaboom in that trailer.

But thinking back further, that part of 40 is a little bit tight to traffic and I suspect something must have happened prior to the bridge between the car and trucker to where the car now feels the need to cut off the big bad trucker who is being meanie.

Who is the killer now? The car.

In the past here on TTR there has been a debate among many of us, part of the debate included a pretty powerful statement that if a car cut you off, you do not horse the truck into anything. you stay with whatever youre doing and if it hits and smashes the idiot who cut you off? Fine. So be it. Darwin time. The theory goes that with enough volunteers being stupid everyone will finally stop cutting off trucks because they might get bad hurt or killed.

I remember a couple times where I got like that. Flat refuse to bounce the truck into another lane and totally wreck the trailer contents adding hours to my lumping. The car would get hit maybe. At least get a good scare take a few of those 9 lives too. It wont bother me none to kill em for being so stupid. But.... a big part of me says I have to try and save them from themselves sometimes.

Only none of my steers ever failed or blew doing it. Thank god. If they have that is indeed that for me.

Lepton1, str8t10, mjd4277 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    So sad.
    Unfortunately 99.9% truck driver will at fault in this situation just because he is PROFESSIONAL IN BIG TRUCK.
    The truck driver has less rights in court then women in 19th century.

LoneCowboy and allniter Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sure you are preaching to the choir. 3/4 of all truck accidents is caused by a car.

I am well aware of the concept you are presenting. Which is one of the reasons I fight back the way I do. Enough is enough. The cars need to shape up or get eliminated. I hate to be different than most people but I think this problem will be solved when Ottos are driving big trucks and every car is a driver less vehicle. I wont be alive to see this happen thankfully.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    It is for this reason, alot of drivers are getting on board cameras that record what the crazy 4 wheelers are doing. Then the police can easily go after the suicidal 4 wheeler whom isnt respecting the laws of the roads.

mjd4277, x1Heavy and Snailexpress Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.