I80 in WY - Rock slide by Green River.

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by ziggystyles, Oct 14, 2010.

1. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Coming home yesterday as I was getting closer to Green River, I started to hear some chatter on my CB. Since I have the worst possible reception and I could tell I was hearing more and more, I knew something was up. I noticed Eastbound (west of the tunnel) was coming to a stop...but was cleared up and moving after a certain point. A frontage road to my right was being used for diverted traffic; and westbound was at a complete stop and backed up (to the previous exit).

Apparently, the eastbounders were just gawking. What happened was a rock slide took place and caused some whiteout conditions (this was probably around 3:30 - 4pm). As you leave Rock Springs and snake into, around, and out of Green River, you get close to a mountain / plateau that gets close to the interstate at some points (couple hundred feet away). Looked like a chunk of the mountain came down.

What I saw (didn't know about the rock slide until later):
    A Swift truck with a Pro Star and regular van trailer stopped in the middle of both lanes. I couldn't tell what was sticking out the corner of the truck...thought it might have been a big air bag or something in the truck....but it was sticking outside up by the post connecting the windshield to the door. As I passed, it looked more like a sheet of metal like a hood of a car? I saw lots of chunks of a car and fluid like tranny or engine oil on the ground. A mini-van was on the shoulder and was hauling a trailer...that had some considerable damage as well. I think a couple of cars collided during the rock slide and the swift truck ran into it. That one car...couldn't identify hardly any one piece of it as i passed by.

Attached is a picture being sent around locally.

From a CBS station in Denver:
    http://cbs4denver.com/wireapnewswy/Rock.slide.closes.2.1961415.html

GREEN RIVER, Wyo. (AP) - Interstate 80 near Green River in southwestern Wyoming has reopened after a rock slide closed it for a couple hours.

The Casper Star-Tribune is reporting that the slide happened just before 4 p.m. Wednesday and caused two cars to collide. A semitrailer collided with the other two vehicles.

The Wyoming Department of Transportation says the interstate was reopened around 6 p.m.

Authorities say four people were taken to the hospital in Rock Springs. Their conditions weren't known.

Lt. Scott Keane of the Wyoming Highway Patrol says the slide created near whiteout conditions. He says minor rock slides have continued in the area.

Westbound traffic was rerouted through Green River. The eastbound lanes were closed briefly.

Attached Files:

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.