Ice and Snow: How much do they affect CB communications?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Meteorgray, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I blame the weather channel for screwing up the nomenclature and creating words to make it more dramatic.

What weather bomb, it was just a winter storm.

The same goes for a polar vortex, what the hell? That's a simple arctic blast.

The same thing for the whole windchill crap, the local idiots lead with the windchills and not the actual air temps. A week or so ago we had one talking head say that with those wind chills her car may not start.

By the way, my wife will turn the weather channel on and when I get into the room, I turn it to anything else.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I drove for Gainey located in Grand Rapids,MI I knowhow bad MI roads are have you had any real bad snow storms this winter?

4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Its like any industry..They all use big fancy words to say basic things..
    In the medical world..
    Fracture= break(not bug ones i know)
    Hemotoma(if i spelled it correctly) = bruise

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Anterior, Posterior etc front back, middle, up, down etc.

Half of medical double talk and gooblydegook would be erased from our esteemed learned medical schooling with just plain english.

Reduced to... Drum roll please...

He's Dead Jim.

What I really love is this... this is my favorite. I know all that big words and stuff from too much internet reading. But when they cart me into the ER my english is reduced to baby talk.

Make pain stop. or something to that effect.

6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was overhearing a child talking this morning about why he has to color between the lines and be neat when the snow people paint the country in wild colors.

7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    When i got woke up from my op back in 08..I dont remember much but i was told i asked for coffee n donuts...It was days later when things were neing realized that i was feeling a lil discomfort lol..Got the good stuff for that..

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A long time ago after appendix was taken out, The incision was a problem. I was cranky and a little bit rough I suppose.

Nurse showed up with a yellow medicine size of a egg. Managed to get it down. In about 20 minutes I was not so onery El Toro or much of anything organized anymore.

To this day I have never see that particular medicine again, Ive done research but I think it's been taken out of the American market, whatever it was. I can understand how some people would love it a little too much. Fortunately I wasnt one of those. It took care of the problem nicely.

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    All weather has an effect, Nothing to get to concerned with unless your running serious power. As far as range yeah, it will dimish a bit but your important area 3 to 5 miles should be fine.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Consider a B-52 trying to penetrate old style SA-6 radar tracking. It would have to radiate tens of thousands of watts. who knows how much juice. Eventually the enemy's screen turns to hash when the incoming radar is literally blinded by too much signal.

Consider the B-52 using a 2 watt commercial radar jammer....

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    When the weather is bad up my way, the radio comes alive.
    ( warning adult truck driver language )

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.