I'd love to see this defense in a speeding ticket case.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Infosaur, May 22, 2018.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

(Note: it only will work in a jurisdiction with a particularly broad anti-cellphone/texting definition.)

"Your honor I plead not guilty as I was unable to determine my speed as a numerical value."

Judge: "you didn't know how fast you were going?"

"Not as a numeric value, your honor."

"Did your truck have a speedometer?"

"Yes sir,"

"Was it functional at the time?"

"I assume so, your honor."

"You,,,, assume? Well didn't you look at it?"

"Sir, pursuant to law [blah blah blah] subsection [blah blah] I am forbidden from reading, holding, responding to any electronic device or communication."

Judge: "wait a minute,,,"

"Your honor, as the court may or may not be aware, for almost two decades now speedometers no longer use mechanical connections, they are in fact electronic devices that communicate, in this instance to the engine control computer or sensors in the driveline."

"So what you're saying is?"

"By reading a speedometer, which is by definition an electronic communication device, I would be in violation of law [yadda yadda yadda] and subjected to fines in excess of $3,000. Therefore I am un-allowed to read my speed when the vehicle is in fact, in motion!"

"How about we let you off with a failure to yield ticket?"

I mean, it'll never happen, but it's fun to imagine one of these "we've got to DO SOMETHING!!" jurisdictions with their local politicians who write aggressive anti-texting and speed laws for revenu,,,,, SAFTEY! I meant safety! Get caught on their own contradictory laws.

But I'd sure be fun to watch. :happy1:

Lite bug, 25(2)+2, sirjeff and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Not a bad idea. Interesting to say the least.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Sounds like the morons that claim they are in a military tribunial at a court house because the flag has fringe on it....
    Judges tend not to be amused.

NavigatorWife and 06driver Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Watch judge subpoena the cell phone records and logbook to ensure accused was not looking at any electronic devices while on road...

QuietStorm and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. Infosaur

Actually, isn't part of the ELD regulation that it has to be mounted and facing you?

(This is probably one spot where I'm non-compliant, as the tablet I bought came with a case and I mounted both the tablet AND the case allowing me to cover the screen when I want.)

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I solved that issue by using one of these vent clips with a strong magnet and attaching to rear of phone case.
    Actually wish I had gotten that a long time ago. It works very well. Used to just keep phone on seat or floor.

Edit
    If you're using an app based system on android just hit power button. So it turns screen off. Turn back on it shows your stuff. Easy.

8. Infosaur

My screen goes dark after a few minutes, I don't feel the need to change that setting.

9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Late at night, I pop the ELD out of the holder and put it on the floor like the old ELD version used to be. Just too bright for night driving but illegal as 7734.

Maj. Jackhole and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  10. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Cop pulls a guy over and says "DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING?". The guy says "No, don't you?".

Cop pulls a guy over and says "PAPERS". I said "Scissors, I win" and drove off.

deathB4decaf and Infosaur Thank this.
  11. Infosaur

I hung my coat over one. Even at it's lowest brightness, I could still see it through the fabric.

Bah, they'd all have us driving 9-5 anyway.

Trucking in Tennessee, that joke ROCKS!

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.