Ideas on Load Securment

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Arisonius, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Hey Guys,
    So I'm new to the flat-bed world and I'm going to be hauling a getup similar to this right here: https://imgur.com/a/8rKtFOf and I'm looking for experienced drivers take on what would be good securement here. This is G70 1/2" chain, my boss wants 100% of the WLL so going across the trailer is the only option if I understand things properly. Any thoughts or ideas, or maybe I'm doing something wrong or there is something I could be doing better, would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,
    Arisonius

Edit: Mods, I just saw there's a flatbed forum. This post might do better there if it can be moved?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    70-1/2 has a wll of 11k, i don't see it happening how you have it, the points on the load you have the chains on don't look like they are intended to hold the load down, so it looks like an RV and if it is, then axles should be used.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    A bus...

It's over 10000lbs, and so the law requires that you use 4 points of securement regardless of the chain WLL. You want a 4 point pull to prevent any forward, rear, side to side movement and up and down. Cover the 4 points first and then cover for the weight of the bus. Got it?

EDIT: I just realized that you are talking about doing across the trailer, an indirect securement. DONT DO THAT. You want a minimum of 4 points direct pull, and then add additional for the weight. No indirect securement.

@johndeere4020 or @Ruthless will be along to offer any other help you may need.

snowwy, Lepton1, Feedman and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell

I'm not saying that I agree, but this is an example of the 4 point direct securement required for wheeled vehicles and heavy equipment.

Feedman and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    I've got 4 chains. 2 up front, 2 in back, just to be sure. The ones up front aren't pictured, we're still working out how to make that secured. So we're going to try and use 4 points of indirect securement, which should be satisfactory? Unless there's some reason that's not preferable?

7. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    @TripleSix After watching that video I think I understand better why the indirect securement is not preferred, because you can't get that 45 degree angle. Interesting. I'm going to have to take this information and redo the strategy. I really appreciate the information. Thank you!

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Indirect securement pulls straight down to the trailer. Direct securement pulls in a DIRECTION. On a wheeled vehicle you want direct, not indirect to prevent movement of a wheeled vehicle.

Why does direct rated at half the WLL of indirect? Because unless you have another direct pulling in the opposite direction, it's useless.

LoneCowboy and Feedman Thank this.
  9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    This is a problem with terms. In the terms of the regulations, a chain through the eye of a coil is an indirect securement, but depending on the direction of pull it certainly can pull in a direction rather than straight down.

OP, TripleSix is correct, you don't want to just be pulling straight down. Not on a wheeled vehicle than can roll. You want the chains to be stopping it directly. If you feel that you need more securement, than you can, if the tie down points on the unit being hauled are adequate to the task, go from the trailer, to the unit, and instead just just tying off onto the securement point you go around it and come back to the trailer, at a similar point on the trailer. So that both legs of the chain are pulling in nearly the same direction. Don't go back to the same tie down point unless you have tie down points rated for that much of a pull, or they will become the weak point in your system.

BTW, you say flatbed, is this going on a step deck or some sort of set up with heavy duty tie down points? The tie down points on most flats and steps aren't going to handle more than a 3/8ths chain can, so using the big chains is useless.

Lepton1 and TripleSix Thank this.
  10. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    @ChaoSS It is a step with a detachable gooseneck. We're having to remove the celvice from the end of the chain and reattach it and then hook it. Curious to know, is hooking the chain to itself a no no? The second picture has a pretty good idea of what the side of the trailer looks like. We were having issues getting the hooks to play nice on those hooking points.

@TripleSix Great explanation. That clarifies it perfectly for me.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Hooking a chain around an attachment point and back to itself is perfectly standard. In fact, while it's common in the equipment industry I don't like the idea of hooking a grab hook to a trailer or hauled equipment directly in many cases because of the angle of the pull against the outside of the hook.

Your trailer looks like it's designed to drop the chains directly into those pockets and hook to the trailer without using a hook on that side. Do you know the ratings for those points and if they are designed for that size chain? If so there's no need to loop around and hook back to the chain like that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.