Ideling with these DPF’s.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jamin22, Dec 30, 2017.

1. jamin22

jamin22 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    was -30 last night so i ideled my truck all night. Reved up rpm’s to 1400 so dpf wouldn’t clog

11 hours later I get back to my truck. Flashing regen light and check engine light. Been driving this truck for 4 years but I’m home every day so I’ve never ideled all night before.

Anything I can do differentl? Gonna be -30 again tonight

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't think it makes any difference what speed you idle at with current DPF systems. You're going to probably have to do a manual regen regardless. So, do us all a favor and idle at normal speed and save some fuel and some noise and see what happens tomorrow morning. Won't know until you've tried both methods.

[I assume you drove under a good load for at least several hours today to help purge the particulate filter and get back to "normal"? If not and if you're just idling for multiple days straight, good luck with that]

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Nope. That’s the way it is. About all you can do is experiment at different rpm, 900, 1000, 1100 , etc. No matter what rpm you run, it will still need to do a Regen at some point as the exhaust temp is still no where near what it would otherwise be going down the road with a load on.
    The only difference various rpm will make is whether it makes it to morning before needing a Regen, then you would be able to just head out onto the highway and let it do it going down the road.
    It doesn’t hurt anything to just shut it off when it’s really cold out if you don’t need to go anywhere. As long as you have a block heater that can be plugged in or have an engine pre-heater to warm it up before starting.

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Wha kind of truck is it?
    New Detroit’s have an ECU parameter called AutoElevate. It allows the truck to go ahead and do a Regen on it's own if it requires one. They don’t normally have that parameter set from the factory in case you put a pto on the truck, you don’t want it to start raising rpm unexpectedly.

tinytim Thanks this.
  6. jamin22

Dec 24, 2009
    Ha, I wasn’t keeping anyone awake with with the high rpm, I park at a place where no one sleeps and then go home

Of course I have a block heater, and I trust that down to well below 0, but -30 scares me even with a block hester. Need my truck to start

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  7. jamin22

Dec 24, 2009
    It’s a 2010 KW with a Cummins isx

8. Orange713

Orange713 Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Houston, tx
    I have a 17 cummins I idle up to 1100 and after a ten hour break I turn off the cruise it regens by it self for about 20 minutes then I’m good to go.

9. jamin22

Dec 24, 2009
    Ideled at only 1100rpm last night, and for 2 hours less time total and it was worse today. Had check engine light on, along with the blinking regen light.

Not sure what I would do if I ever get stuck somewhere and have to sleep in the truck (which is possible now on elogs). I would be screwed, obviously no apu or anyway of getting heat or a/c without the engine running

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    400 K miles and the DPF hasn't been cleaned? You are nearing the end of the service life on the DPF. It's mostly full of crap, and can't hold enough to idle through the night without a regen.

My guess is the problem will go away if you get the DPF cleaned.

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm sorry, but can't fathom anyone today buying a $130k truck with a sleeper and not at least adding a webasto type bunk heater. But then I again, I can't see working in a position where sleeping in the truck is possible some nights and the truck is not outfitted with a working APU

SingingWolf and snowwy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.