Idle temp going crazy

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Adrake, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Adrake

Adrake Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    London, Ohio
    Ok so my temperature gauge is registering 102 when it's only 40 out. I'm not too upset because I can actually idle without it turning off, but I wasn't sure what I should do. Had anyone dealt with this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Bump it up a bit, if you want a higher temp. Diesel engines need a higher RPM to come up to full temp. The newer ones will pretty much hold it, once it’s gotten there.

If you’re comfortable. Don’t worry about it.

Back in the day, we stuck idle sticks on the throttle in extreme cold. ;) Used them for cruise control too lol

d281833 Thanks this.
  4. Adrake

Adrake Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    London, Ohio
    No, what I'm saying it the temperature gauge that tells you how cold it is outside is reading 60 degrees higher than it is outside. I don't mind because I can continue to idle past the 5 minute mark, but I don't know if I should get it looked at. Trying to see if anyone else has this issue.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Drive it and don’t worry unless it reads wrong in sub zero temps and won’t idle it that’s your heat source

6. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    No, this is normal. Sun is probably hitting it directly.

7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Lmao. Wait until you park in summer time. They tend to pick up engine heat when you’re parked, it give a false reading because of that

LoSt_AgAiN Thanks this.
  8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Where is the sensor mounted? You’re catching heat from the truck. If you start driving it will likely go back down to whatever the temp actually is.

9. PacoTaco

PacoTaco Medium Load Member

Apr 16, 2016
    South Texas
    Correct - it will go down once you start driving. I was in Phoenix last summer and my gauge read 127 degrees. It went down to 105 once I was moving.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It was probably reading right. 127 is about right sitting cooking on the concrete or asphalt. I see 130's a lot sitting.

Casper is like dead accurate too when I'm moving.

PacoTaco Thanks this.
  11. Adrake

Adrake Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    London, Ohio
    It happened last night as I was driving, and like it mentioned earlier the real temperature outside is 40 and it's currently reading 110. Im not in direct sun. I have a 2017 KW T680 and the mount is on my driver mirror.

12. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    If it does it while your driving, you need a new sensor. They’re not that hard to replace, but the company is probably mot going to see it as a priority. This means you’ll just have to get used to it being wrong. On a plus note, you can buy one in the truck stop for about $20-$25. Stick the sensor on the under side of your mirror and velcro the display to your dash.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.