Idler or tensioner pulley?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by 86scotty, Sep 25, 2018.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    My 2015 D13 has developed a squeak/chirp on the right side of engine (passenger side). Looks like my two options are water pump or the idler/tensioner below. It has a ratchet slot so I’m thinking tensioner. This is for the main big belt.

Anywhere I can get one besides dealer or should I go OEM? Also, what is this one called specifically?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    You have it right Scotty.
    Go to the dealer, only use OEM .... The pair costs about $400 for both idler/tensioners. The belts are dirt cheap, about $30ea

I'd recommend doing both AND the belts at the same time... Good for another 4-500k

However, you should check the water pump after popping that belt off. It should turn freely and smooth. If the bearings have any roughness, replace the WP too... Check your alternator the same way..

baha Thanks this.
  4. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Thanks man, apparently you were typing while I was at the Volvo dealer. I see now that both idler And tensioner are right there together. I got both plus the belt, $425.

I’ll be checking everything, especially water pump. I’m actually due for that any time. $625k on truck. It’s original, green painted bolts and all.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Got the pulleys and belt and they sat on my passenger seat all week. The day I bought them my idler stopped making noise and hasn't made a peep since. I'll be swapping it this week anyway but I hate it when that happens.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.