If you are purchasing a truck be aware of financing

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by crucar1800, Dec 23, 2017.

1. crucar1800

crucar1800 Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    If you are buying a truck be aware of financing. There are types of loans and the salesman will not mention anything about it. I purchased this used truck and I received with no explanation or consultation an amortization loan which every payment goes directly to pay interest FIRST rather than capital plus interest. It will start paying capital later, but that is not fair deal. What you are looking for is a FIXED loan in which capital and interest are paid simultaneously. In my opinion amortization type loan is a SCAM.

I have been with the truck for almost two months and I am surprised how dealers will not do any type of maintenance on the truck before selling while they try to cover their back with a "sold as is" form. I am taking pictures and recording maintenance to get creative later on by writing a comprehensive facebook/google review or asking a lawyer.

Also, keep in mind, if you pay 3600$ for a brake job they will intentionally over tight the brakes so you come back sooner and they may remove the transmission temperature gauge to hide something or wait until someone blows the transmission by over heating it. They will even charge you to make extra keys before driving the truck out the first time.

I have included two images from a financing company. there you can see how the monthly payment pictured as #3 applies to #2 (interest) until sometime in the future starts paying #1.(capital). Take a look at December and then November while comparing. interest rate is around 15 percent.

Don't let this happen to you because as an used truck you definitely don't know what major repairs you have ahead and when you run your numbers you will realize that you still OWE the same amount written at the dealership buyers order. You are left with junk. So...protect yourself. get a FIXED LOAN rather than an amortization loan and give as LITTLE as possible for down payment.

November.jpg December.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    What shop did this? That alone will help more then anything.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  4. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Well an amortization type loan can be paid off just as fast as the type of loan your talking about. Most home mortgages have fixed interest rates with amortized mortgages. To me it looks like loan interest is 15%. So all you have to do is pay an amount towards the principle unless there is a prepayment penalty clause which you would have seen when you read all the documents before you signed them. You never sign anything you don't understand.
    If someone charged you $3600.00 for a brake job that was only shoes and drums then you got ripped off for sure. You have to look out for yourself no one else is going to least of all the salesman, the finance company or anyone else that's going to make a buck off your truck. You had the right to have a mechanic look at the truck before you purchased it.

benthere, TallJoe and crucar1800 Thank this.
  5. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    I can't disclose the full name for liability purposes, but I can tell you that they are located in the pompano beach area in Florida.

6. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    How do you know they were over tightened?

7. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    Thanks. I will definitely check on paying towards capital. I don't think there is an option other than making a larger monthly payment.
    The truck was inspected and it "passed" their dot inspection. APU had probably a year old oil. One steer tire had a funky mark and it was parked towards the ground so no one can see it. No transmission temperature gauge, but they sure left the anti collision radar on and the qualcomm wiring.
    I

8. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Was this your first truck purchase? If the shop did something incorrectly then how are you liable?

9. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    Making that sound of pads touching the drums while driving at parking lot speed...it doesn't sound anymore because the pads wore to the point that they do not touch anymore...I am not saying that the pads are out, but why they need to touch the drums. I called them and they said they had no clue, but why would you trust them...probably would say you need to replace some rings. Money money.

10. crucar1800

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes the first. Because I am not a certified technician and they may use that to lie while trying to excuse themselves.

11. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    You brought a truck without a outside shop looking at it. You signed a loan or a lease contract with understanding it. Brake work was done and you say the shoes was too tight. Why didn't you check them and adjust them if needed.

Exactly why are you complaining?

Roger McG, mtoo, spyder7723 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.