If you tell me log on duty during a 5 hour unload then I'll respectfully turn down all live loads

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Why do drivers log sleeper or off duty then complain about working 70+ hours a week. How about getting paid detention and logging all time working. Then we can stop working at 70 hours

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    I have always been paid detention regardless of how I log and regardless of whether it was a mega or not. Even if I'm off duty or sleeping, I'm not allowed to leave, thus I'm detained. It's not hourly wage for work, you don't have to be on duty.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't see how driver log off duty when loading or unload because you are not free to do as you want. We are required to wait. We can just walk away and come back in a couple hours.

I can see logging sleeper berth if your not needed to help.

5. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I don’t complain about working 70 hours a week. I have worked that much since the day I started working. Doing real work, not driving a large car. I might have more responsibility than most people on earth, but I don’t work at all unless I am tarping. And only if I personally have to carry a tarp. Or roll one up.

It’s usually a lack of available hours that I and most drivers are complaining about. The only time you really hear drivers complaining about 70 hour weeks is when being accused of laziness by people with real jobs. That, or when their 70 is gone and they don’t have hours to run.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In live grocery it's 15 minutes to load/unload on paper even if the butter on the floor and hundreds of boxes say otherwise. That's on paper.

The reason is that there is a 70 hour time clock for the work week. It would be futile to throw away or log 14 hours all day onduty loading or unloading or sitting by the dock line waiting for the call when you burn up your daily hours then have to take another 10 before going anywhere and also throwing away your 70 making gauranteed you will be late to your next delivery. And you will be fired or dismissed based on service failure.

The ELD does not know what you are doing. If you are in a grocery or cold storage waiting situation for live load or unloading the hard way, the best for you is to hit that sleeper and get in your 10. ESPECIALLY if the bills say SHIPPER LOAD AND COUNT. And must match some shippers time stamping the bills when you finally are loaded, sealed and signed with papers in hand to go away.

You will have preserved your 70 as much as possible and in addition have been rested (For the most part) ready to roll.

Instead of flat refusing and making yourself a target for firing or dismissed (Failed customer service) Find a company that does drop and hook. One of ours in Arkansas had drop hook priveledges in Walmart DC's usually in places like Waco Texas, MM Mars etc. We roll in, drop, hook and gone in 15 minutes done. I think we only endured a life load or unload in a WM DC twice that year, for a loss total of a day plus for one and almost two days for the other in addition to a comcheck fee for their cost required to pay them to unload etc. (Which is a racket if you ask me)

Or better yet go flatbedding or something. You are not expected to be touching those 20,000 pound Coils yourself. And those only take a moment to put on or take off the deck. No more grocery losses against your service HOS each week.

Also... One last thing.

It is my absolute conviction that whatever your HOS situation at a shipper or receiver is completely and utterly disregarded. YOU do not matter to them. One must wonder if the FBI would appreciate being ushered off your home property because the federal rules don't matter to you?

You are there on the shipper or receivers property detained until they are finished with you however long or short it is. It is quite possible (And we have seen this) to completely and utterly destroy your entire 70 hour work week just by waiting and faithfully logging every minute that long. Once loaded you cannot do anything with it until you have had a 34 hour reset enforced by the ELD.

And so the shippers and receivers choke to death on trucking piled up around all over unable to legally move. Would you accept this at a major airport say Baltimore Washington International and or Dulles for example when 20000 planes line up for your passenger gate for several days with thousands more in the air over the USA and all over the world coming in? No. No one will accept such a travesty.

As far as detention pay, it's not for you, the company driver. It goes into the pocket of the fleet owner or company that is enduring the detainment of you and your 18 wheeler. IF they are anywhere near generous they will "Break off" some of it and pay you.

Finally if you are being told to log 5, 10, 14 hours actual waiting as on duty from your bosses Do it. Or be fired. When it comes up you cannot legally move more than say 100 miles today and they rage about you being late or out of hours, you hang them high on their own petard and restate their required policy of logging onduty.

Boom. Be sure to document the yelling, dates, times, names in especially. So that if you are in fact being fired for actually following what the "Law" requires and your company policiy enforced by your bosses in logging, take it all to your state's labor board or even better blow the whistle at FMCSA or that state's commercial vehicle enforcement board.

Some of you will call me a rogue lawbreaking outlaw. Big deal been doing this on paper for decades. ELD is merely a faster paperless way of doing it. Others will rage at how bad the industry has become, I point out it is you who decides to rot at a Associated or Americold all this time when you could have been rolling say a flatbed. Follow me?

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have several questions for you. My first one is how long have you been driving? Followed by why are you worried about how somebody else is logging? Generally I was paid detention starting after my 2nd hour. However I did not log on duty. Depending on how my week went if I logged on duty while on a dock I stood to lose up to 20 to 25 hours a week. It was hard enough as it was getting to my appointments with the 70 hours. Doing that with 50 hours in some situations was impossible. As a driver I never was asked by my company or DOT about this. If they ever had I would have walked away from it on the spot.

BlackThought and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    bent, not broke, you break it they make 10 new ones.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I have been driving a long time. I understand the company don't ask or care. The company is the one who showed me how work the log book. So they could care less untill something goes wrong.

The only reason I care is because that the point of this post to see what other people log. I think it interesting because most drive don't log all the time they work. They say it's no big deal. Then I think about the driver in Florida several years ago that rear ended a school bus killing some teens. He was just like everyone not logging their unloading times. He got caught on video actually working and not logging it. When they figured out what his real working HOS was he was over. So the school bus accident was now a criminal act on this part.

stwik and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    If you consider sitting there scrolling Facebook to be work, you’d probably die on your first load hauling open decks. Fueling, scaling, sitting there on your ### while being loaded or unloaded, those things are not work. I have never logged them. Not once.

Well I take that back. I did log them for one week after a Swift manual log audit revealed I never had. I ran 1600 miles that week. Never again though.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The problem here though is fatigued drivers generally are not that way because of working off their logs. This is a whole different chapter. Generally speaking drivers are not helping or otherwise working when docked. Just because I can't leave does not mean I am working. In my case I actually had a letter from my company that was in my permit book stating they had released me from being on duty in those situations. I am not active today. However when I was active I would never just throw away my 70 like that. When the day came that I had to come, well lets just say I would have made an adjustment.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.