If You Want To Drive A Big Rig You Need To Read This

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Pahrump, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

Ok fellas, Driving trucks for a living is a great occupation, an honorable occupation, a career that will pay your bills and provide for your families.
    But give the world a break,,I recently read a posting asking "How do I get in the upper bunk" or "I just rent solo and "had 3 accidents my first trip will I get fired"

Hey guys trucking is not ROCKET SCIENCE, for many years I have heard from friends who were not truckers that " ANY ONE CAN DRIVE A TRUCK"

THEY WERE CORRECT! ANYONE CAN DRIVE A TRUCK!
    Anyone can drive a truck and especially since many driving schools and trucking companies now train new drivers in trucks with auto shift transmissions anyone can get the truck to move but getting a truck more than around the block with out hitting anything and finding where they want to go is a challenge for many want to be "TRUCK DRIVERS" TRUTH IS NOT EVERY ONE CAN DRIVE A TRUCK!

Driving a truck a VW Beatle or a bicycle takes a little of "THINKING"
    Come on if you can't find your way out of a paper bag , don't become a truck driver.

Turn off your GPS learn to read a "MAP" Turn off your CB and concentrate on your driving.
    Technology is never better than good safe driving skills,,

You need to be able to read and write,,be able to read a map,,must be able to add and subtract with out a calculator.
    You must be able to follow instructions,,open the hood of your truck and check the oil,see if the radiator has coolant and check and see if your tires have air,,and if they don't have enough air do "SOME THING TO AIR THE TIRES"
    As a truck driver your duties are more than hanging onto a steering wheel and talking some unknow slang on the CB.

Driving a truck is not trying to go as fast as the truck will go,,ask any woman it is not about how fast you can go,,
    Being a truck driver is about working hard, long hours,,being away from home and dealing with out crying or ######## about everything that can or will go wrong,
    A great driver deals with ever changing situations and no matter what learns to work with the "MORON" checkers or "STUPID DISPATCHERS" and get the truck loaded or unloaded so that he can get on the road relax a little and drive and make money,,

A successful money making driver plans each trip,,plans each day before he sticks his truck in gear and does his best to drive as safe as he can no matter what other drivers, trucks or 4 wheelers do around him.

It is all about going from point A to B with as little problems as possible and make a pay check.

If a driver is a rookie then he must understand that he is an "APPRENTICE" for 3 to 5 years, during the "APPRENTICESHIP" you must learn to drive safely and "FOLLOW ALL LAWS AND COMPANY RULES"

if you want to learn to be a good safe, dependable and 'QUALITY" driver,

You are give the responsibility to drive a truck and trailer worth over $200,000 plus a cargo that can be worth hundreds if not millions off dollars. One little screw up can cost your company millions.
    If you want to move up to higher paying work or a better company you must prove yourself
    Some truck driver working for companies make $100,000 per year,,some owner operators make over $150,000 per year profit but some truck driver never make over $30,000 a year and drive junk trucks and have trouble keeping a job,

The bucks are out there, there are great companies to work for, you just have to use your your brain a little, do your best to be safe and every day learn something new.

If you need help dressing your self in the mornings try something other than trucking,,maybe you should be a rocket scientist.

Slow and easy and very careful is the best way,, always ask for help and always help other drivers and make every ones day a good day.

DRIVE SAFE HOSPITAL FOOD SUCKS SAME LOOSING YOUR CDL AND WORKING A 7-11.

NC4, Lepton1, lcfd15 and 25 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Amen brother!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Anyone can drive a truck !
    Making it a career. Negative.

cowboy_tech Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Pahrump, idle down now, you're shouting! Besides, with all the layoffs in the Space agency, I'll bet plenty of rocket scientists are driving trucks.:biggrin_2559:

blairandgretchen, Mooose and Dryver Thank this.
  6. moraramis

moraramis Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Arkansas
    Also if you are going into OTR know that it wasn't designed for frequent hometime. The more you're home the less money you make. From my experience if you are a company driver you'll need to stay out at least 6 weeks before taking hometime if you want to make good money in this job. If you don't think you can stand to be away from family and friends that long then don't go OTR. Regional driving usually lets you go home on the weekends. FedEx is taking CDL students now and training them at .40cpm and then bumping them up to .50 after training.

7. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I do not drive for the money I drive for the glory!!!!!!

Pmracing and browndawg Thank this.
  8. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Pahrump....that is without a doubt the most fact -filled , honest , and on-point post I've read since joining this forum over 2 years ago. Only thing that I can say is I wish I had posted it!....that should be the very 1st statement out of a driving schools owner/instructors mouth. Live this / believe this / understand this.....great post man , Best of the Best....

9. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Tony, I agree too. It's like, for an old timer, these things Pahrump says should almost be a given, and one shouldn't have to say those things, (especially in bold type), but I suppose in a world where you have to tell people, "The coffee may be hot", or "Don't stand on the top step of a ladder", or "Doing drugs before a drug test is bad", it must be told.:smt102

Wargames and Tonythetruckerdude Thank this.
  10. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    TR please make this read first stickey

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    True, true.

Sadly I had to come to the conclusion that everybody wasn't quite as smart or hard working as I. Don't get me wrong - I'm not that smart or hard working . . . but the SMH moments seem more frequent these days!

I always like the "I always wanted to drive a truck - it looks like fun - my Dad drove a truck - I like machinery" posts on here as motivations for wanting to start driving. Usually the posters get all bent out of shape at the first negativity they come across in the thread, and I wonder "How are you going to deal with industry challenges when this is all it takes to grind your gears?"

I give massive credit to the older guys - No AC, No air -ride, no seat suspension, no autos, GPS units, NO CELL PHONES . . . now that's trucking. I'm a pampered brat in comparison in this day and age.

virginwidow and wulfman75 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.