IFTA App?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HaulinCars, May 20, 2017.

1. HaulinCars

HaulinCars Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Central Florida
    Is there an app that I can use to simplify the keeping track of mileage for IFTA?

Yes, of course there is! In fact there are a lot of them! So the real question is, are any of them any good? Is there one (or more than one) that should be avoided?

I have an old smart phone I keep in a normal holder on the dash I use for a clock and calculator. The GPS still works just fine and if I hook it up to my hotspot I can do everything with it like it was still turned on to make calls (email, www and so forth) just can't text or make calls.

I could use this phone (connected to the hotspot if necessary) to run the app. I just don't want to have to remember every time I cross a state line to write down the mileage (while driving... Gee, I can't hold a cell phone because it is distracting but I'm required to get a pen and paper and write down my mileage and state I'm going into? Really?)

Anyway, any useful advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    I use the notepad in my RM710.

It AUTOMATICALLY captures the highway, mile marker, from state. I then type the "into" state & odometer.

I open the app when my gps warns of state line crossing @ 2 miles away.

after trip ends, I simply open the list of notes, write that into the IFTA paperwork

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I use a simple and reliable Dictaphone that uses two aaa batteries that only need replaced about once a year.

Apps are great.. but cell phones are notorious unreliable and easily broken

HaulinCars, nax and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  5. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    I have the 510 and it logs everything for you you don't have to make notes. Just add the fuel cost/gal when ya fuel and it's all there. Every year, quarter, state, mile and gal.

To add fuel; click the speedometer >add fuel.

See ifta info; main menu>timers, mileage etc. Then pick your tab mileage or fuel then choose the quarter you want and write down the info.
    You can view by date or state.

At the end of each quarter I just copy the data straight to the dept. Of revenue and transfer the file to my laptop. As a side note, it would be wise to copy the info regularly in case of device failure. Had it happen once...

HaulinCars Thanks this.
  6. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @flatbeb mac ...true, u can do that too.

I forgot that to mention that my method is due to using multiple trucks in a given week...and the company I doing this gig for requires "paperwork" turned in for each truck driven @ end of every shift.

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.