IFTA by myself, doing it on my own, instead of hiring it done?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Bokula, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Bokula

Bokula Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I am O/O and have my own IFTA authority obtained in state of Illinois (Arizona) (do not have DOT/MC number) and I drive through all 48 states. In last year, one agency were filing IFTA in my behalf (I operate under other MC/DOT number) but now I decided to do it by myself. I know how to calculate it but have a few questions I need answers for:
    1) When I calculate IFTA and pay all I need to at Illinois web site (mytax.illinois.gov) for all states I drove through, do I need to pay it again for KY, NY, NM and OR ? Does IL (AZ)distribute money to all states I drove through or not ? If yes, why KY, NY, NM and OR are so called "special" states ?
    2) I also came across this phrase "weight distance tax". What is this, and does it apply to those states (KY, NM, NY and OR) for mileage I drove through them? Do I need to create accounts for those states in order to file "weight distance tax" in addition to IFTA ?

Thank you a lot, and sorry bothering you.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    1. You just pay to mytax.illinois.gov site
    2. Weight distance tax is related to NM. KY also have a tax related to mileage driven in KY state.

338-Dark-Knights Thanks this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Ifta is filed in Illinois where you have your ifta license.
    The other wdt states you can open an account or get trip permits prior to entering those states. Maybe you can get nm at Poe, not sure.

You may have different time periods to file, monthly/quarterly/annually.
    Depends on the state and how many miles you pay for.

Good luck

5. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    When you do IFTA, you pay Illinois, they divi out the money to the other states you drove in for that last quarter. If you drive all lower 48 then you must do NM, OR, NY and if over 59k KY. That means you must have IFTA account plus a account for the other 4 states. You will have to do 5 reports each quarter. Really esy to do. If no miles in that quarter for that state you still have to log on and report no miles. Hope this helps

Edit.. as stared above Oregon was the only one that wanted me to file monthly for the first year.
    Also IFTA is a license not authority. You must carry that license in your truck at all times. That will show you are licensed for that year plus have the sticker numbers to show those stickers on the side of your truck belongs to you.

mhyn Thanks this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Oregon doesn't have fuel tax for diesel in commercial vehicles. Instead you pay approximately $0.21 cents per every mile you run in the State.

7. Bokula

Bokula Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Thank you Expeditor on your prompt answer. In order to clarify things, you want to tell me that I need to create accounts for KY, NM, NY and OR and go online and file millage and fuel I drove through these states each quarter, even though I paid it through IL (Illinois) IFTA? That is look like I pay twice for those states, right ?

8. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Yes, on quarterly filing. No on double payment. Except when you go to toll roads, then you double pay. As of 3 years ago there was a state in the Northeast, I believe NH, don't quote me, that you didn't have to account for miles driven on toll roads in IFTA reports.
    You can get a permit for Oregon for each individual trip, without account or quarter reports, but you can only get so many for that perticulate truck. After that you must register with a account.OR also requires a bond, depending on your credit and how many trucks you have. I paid 100.00 a year 1 truck , that is just the bond. NM you can also buy a trip permt, I believe they charge by your weight and permit only good for x amount of days.NY is the same. KY is needed if over 59k pounds. Again this is needed only if you travel thru these states.

9. ast26909

ast26909 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Those states are NOT special, it's a sneaky and dishonest way to grab more money for themselves. If those states just want more money they can just raise the registration fee for the miles driven in their states in IRP, but no they must create more bureaucracies, more loops for truckers to jump to keep truckers on the defensive. If you live in these states please contact your state representatives and voice our displeasure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.