IFTA filing tips to save money?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Atlanticus trucking, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Im web filing IFTA and my total owed is close to 2300 for the quarter for about 40k miles @ 8mpg. these numbers are based off of 0 tax paid miles.
    1. What are tax paid miles? is there a possibility I have them that im not aware of?
    2. Is there anything else im missing to drive down this number?
    thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    You bought 5k gallons of fuel someplace.
    Where?

KANSAS TRANSIT and stillwurkin Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    What state are you filing in?
    40k miles on how many trucks?

5. Atlanticus trucking

Atlanticus trucking Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2018
    ah wow. i think it just clicked. the tax paid gallons column is where I paid for the fuel? I purchased in about 10 states at various truck stops / stations.

Filing in NY on 2 trucks

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Maybe @Hulld can help walk you through it.
    I file in nc and it basically fill in the blanks and it does it for me. That’s as long as you have everything broken down like miles per state and gallons per state.

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Your IFTA should be a wash, really may end up only owing a few dollars or even getting a slight refund. You need to keep good account of fuel purchased, and also plan your fuel purchases in the state with the lowest price after deducting tax, not the lowest pump price.

Example, when I ran the NY, NJ and PA tri-state area I purchased most of my fuel in either PA or NY because the tax rate was close to equal. NJ looked like a bargain being .20-.30 per gallon cheaper at the pump, but they were only like .18 per gallon in tax and NY used to be .40. Being I ran 80% of my miles in NY I would end up owing the difference which made my fuel cost more then if I had of just bought the slightly higher pump price.

I would say you may be onto something if you didn't account for the tax paid at the pump.

Hammer166, Hulld and Banker Thank this.
  8. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    It's the actual gallons you bought in a particular state.

Tips? Everyone has their own method of how they purchase fuel in regards to IFTA. Personally I just buy it where I can get it the cheapest and pay what I owe when I file.. There really isn't a right way to do it because you pay one way or the other..

9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    This free app may help you with your fueling choice. It gives you the option to choose lowest pump price or less IFTA. In your case you will choose less IFTA. 5D17004A-D790-4BB1-91CC-C9663841CE20.png 59D34E66-A21C-4B37-B53F-D05ABADB6DD8.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    brian991219 and SoCalRed Thank this.
  10. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    It has been a long time since I filed IFTA, but the way you save money is to buy the cheapest before tax fuel. The state will get their taxes no matter what. There is an app for that. Can't remember which one I'm sure someone will post it.
    The cheapest before tax fuel right now is in Texas. So if you only fuel in Texas and drive everywhere (I know not possible) you will owe money to all the other states, but you will still pay less for fuel + taxes at the end. Remember the state will get their tax buying fuel there or not and the extra tax you paid Texas will be credited back to you.
    I live in California the most expensive before tax fuel. I used to fuel here only if I had to.

Hammer166 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.