ifta & intrastate

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by amstruck, Nov 13, 2008.

1. amstruck

amstruck Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2008
    fort worth, tx
    I am looking to run only in tx. do i still need to do an ifta application? its my understanding that ifta is required of you run 2 states or more...thanks for your help!

HeckIGot2Go! Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    that's how i understand it as well..

4. Section Eight

Section Eight Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Spartanburg, SC
    Correct. IFTA doesn't apply intrastate. DOT and MC numbers may not apply either... check with your state. I have South Carolina authority, running intrastate only, and can't get DOT or MC numbers because SC doesn't require either one. This will vary state to state.

5. PeterbiltCouple

PeterbiltCouple Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I know that the Tx guys didn't even care about our MC# when we got stopped, coming from out of state. They said the DOT# was all they needed to see or cared about. The MC# is only required when you're carrying stuff like packaged food. If you're carrying corn, tomatoes (large quantities not packaged), etc., then you don't need an MC#.

And they're right about the IFTA. If you're only driving in one (your home) state, you don't need it. I believe, though, if you're based in one state and only drive in another state, then you do have to sign up with IFTA.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.