IFTA registration confusion?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by brsims, Jul 3, 2019.

1. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    So I'm buying a truck. (YAY ME!)

Dumb question time. I'm gonna register and plate the truck in PA. But the carrier I'm gonna lease to is going to handle my IFTA reporting and is in OH.

First question: Do I need to file a new IFTA registration to match the plate here in PA, or will I be added to my carrier's IFTA and run their sticker?

Second question: If I do have to file for a PA IFTA, do I list my truck as a common carrier, or as a for hire carrier? Again, I'm leasing my truck to a carrier and will be operating under their authority.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Ask your future carrier. Many carriers do the IFTA filing and you buy the plate from them. But sometimes it's the opposite. It's not hard to do IFTA filing , but if you get audited, it can be very one sided.

brsims Thanks this.
  4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Many thanks!

I'd ask directly, but the office is closed til Monday (Holiday and all), so I thought I'd throw it out here. Looking to see if I need a sticker, or a temp permit.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The carrier will just need to fill in the plate number and state on the paper work, no big deal for them to do it. People make this out as complicated and act like it takes an act of congress to get done. Ifta is separate from the plate itself and you will just have to make sure the cab card is for the states you run and jive with the apportioned plate.

brian991219 and brsims Thank this.
  6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    @Ridgeline

So I'll just need a temporary IFTA permit to move the truck then? I need to stick it in the shop for a minor repair and to get the A/C recharged, then move it to (god save me) AL for "orientation" and company inspection.

7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I’ve been through a IFTA audit. It’s painless if you have all your ducks in a row, it can be very costly if you don’t. Fines and assessments can reach 6 figures, because any records you lack or are incorrect, they just assume fuel taxes weren’t paid and tax you again.

brsims Thanks this.
  8. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    I think the company you are leasing to will supply you with an IFTA sticker. I had my own when I was working under my neighbors authority. Now that I am leased on with a bigger company they supply the sticker and take care of the reports. I live in Ohio and have my own plate, I am leased to a carrier in Indiana and run their IFTA.

brsims Thanks this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Like some have said. If you run on company IFTA they will give you decals and card etc. Doesnt matter what state you are plated.Then they will file for you. Its required every quarter. ( 4 times a year). Then most generally they deduct what you owe out of your settlement. Company i am leased to files for their owner ops at 25 bucks a quarter. If you are on their IFTA. I prefer to file my own with my own account. Filling out the forms is not difficult. But..you must keep records of miles in every state you run in. Also purchase fuel according to the miles you run in the state(s). Keep fuel receipts. When companies do the filing they tend to lump you in with the fleet.( miles) . I just prefer my own, as others i have compared with, it seems to be less expensive for me. I have been audited twice, Pa once and Ohio. Was not a big deal. Ohio did it by mail. This is in apprx 40 years. Audit was in the 80's or 90's not sure anymore, and Ohio came out 0 owed. Other was Pa think they billed me for like 3bucks. Just be organized.

brsims Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.