IFTA

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by deathB4decaf, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Some states require a “Special User” fuel tax registration for in state only vehicles. Works a lot like IFTA, just at the state level. Fill out form, send a few bucks get the stickers back in the mail. Report fuel use every quarter.

Think they do this to make sure they get the tax money.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Trucking,like most business's isn't easy. One of the greatest achievments in the past 50 years in trucking was IFTA/IRP. There's guys on here that will remember the old days,and the myriad of tags,stickers,bingo stamps,etc, that would confuse even the smartest. You never really knew if you were completely legal. States rights,every state had their own way of collecting and enforcing trucking authorites and taxes. It was a mess. I have pictures of my truck in the 70's with 7 tags on the front,3 on my trailer. Had a couple of unused tags behind the passenger seat for states I barely went to. And you needed a bingo card,that was about public use and authorities. Your permit book was as big as the NYC telephone directory. Then dozens of fuel stickers plastered all over your truck and windshield,and everyone had a designated spot. Somes states on one side,some states wanted them on both sides. Some states had different colored stickers,depending on your fuel tax payments. Example. Mississippi required a fuel tax sticker on both sides,if you had green sticker,you did not have to stop at the scale on the way out and pay cash for your trip. If you had the red Mississippi sticker,you stopped on the scale on your way out of the state and paid. I remember the west bound scale on I-20 going to Louisiana. If you had a red sticker,you stopped on the scale hopped out of your truck,and they had a little tray that slid out and you put your money in. IIRC it was about two dollars across the state on I-20. I'm sure there are other old timers here that remember Arizona dipping your fuel tank. And every truck in Wyoming with the little card from the port,with the date taped to the inside of your windshield for each trip. Vendor stations in Nevada. And on and on. Enough rambling,but thank God for IFTA/IRP.
    Heres a pic of my last fuel tax plate off the left side of my truck. This was when IFTA was finally getting all the states on board with the new deal,took a while. And finally one dam plate on the front,one plate on the trailer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  4. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I miss the old days, you never had to file fuel tax. I trip leased everything. For those that don't know, used to be you could sign a lease for 1 load. And for the sticker you would just get the cb and ask if someone had an extra. That's how I got all mine, then buy cheapest fuel you could find.

Trucking used to be so much easier.

5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I miss them too, but not that part.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.