I'm 6 foot 7, whats the best truck for me?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ThatTallGuy, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I don't know what year truck you're thinking about, but here's something to consider.

First of all you definitely need something that has a unibilt sleeper that has nothing behind the seat. I'm preferential to the fld120 trucks, and with the unibilt sleeper if your seat was set up right you could go back as far as you wanted to.

Also, you have to consider that if the seat is so far back where is the steering wheel going to be? Of all the trucks that I have driven, the FLD 120 and classic trucks have a tilt telescopic steering wheel that has a massive massive range of settings. Maybe there's something like that on the newer trucks but I never in my life saw a truck that a tilt/ telescopic wheel that had such range for up and down and in and out. I would think that would be very important for you.

Also the fld120 dash wraps around you. So if you have a seat that's pushed way back, if you had something like the Peterbilt with a flat Dash that's a long way to reach. I always hated to reach like that because it gives you a backache.

And depending the kind of freight you're going to haul, maybe you should consider a condo that you can stand up and change your clothes and move around. I would imagine that's got to be tough in a flat top or mid roof if you're that tall.

Now for some useless and kind of unrelated trivia... Tom Selleck could not fit into the Ferrari on Magnum PI. If you ever watch the show the top is never on the car and his head actually sticks out.

He was on a talk show one day and they said wow you really are a big guy you're 6'4". He laughed and said that he was the runt of his family. He said his brothers are 6'7". He wasn't kidding.

gettyimages-486433793-2048x2048.jpg

OldeSkool Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    william-engesser-pictures.png Bama's bodyguard Bones had a similar issue..

magoo68, LoneRanger, Banker and 2 others Thank this.
  4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    This is exactly right!!!! I hate the new Freightliner cabs for that very reason. They're so wide yet no leg room, steering wheel comes down about half as far as I need it, big lunkerous doors with mirrors built on them which is a sure design to have rattling doors with busted up mirrors from being slammed.

Ok I had much more bad things to say about Freightliner but I'll be quiet. I did drive a 02 FLD120 which was a good truck. It had no leg room either but was a day cab so probably that's why.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m pretty much all leg, so much so that I have to sit in the back in church, and my 579 Pete is actually pretty comfortable.

BigBob410 and OldeSkool Thank this.
  6. ThatTallGuy

ThatTallGuy Bobtail Member

Jul 20, 2019
    Thanks again for the input yall, it's greatley appreciated!

BigBob410 Thanks this.
  7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I am 6’4 and own a day-cab, but I got used to knees on the dashboard in a Volvo Car-carrier before my 389Pete. Therefore my Pete seems like I have plenty of legroom, even though it is only inches. My Bostrom Wide Ride was the best addition to my cab compared to the OEM Peterbilt seat. I also ride on the floor, but the chop top so I can haul a full size pickup over the cab has something to do with that.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Tall Mike and BigBob410 Thank this.
  8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Yeah, the seat goes way back in the Mack, but I've got short legs and broad shoulders. Seat is right against the door (even a Pete has more room to that side).

Cascadia is great, including the transition from cab to sleeper and vice versa. In the couple weeks I was in a Pinnacle, I had a perpetual headache from bashing my noggin on the cab roof, lol.

I still would love to move back to my flat top Pete though.

9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Always wanted to try s chopped top but never did before I got out of it.

Banker Thanks this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    As a person who drives with the windows open and my left arm resting on the window sill, I can't stand how far the seat is from the door in a freightliner. Even if it has an arm rest on that side, it's too low to be comfortable. I see no need for THAT much space to the left of the driver, unless you're anticipating a beached whale to be sitting in that drivers seat. Hell, if I had to buy a truck all over again, I would've gone for an R instead of a CH...the narrow cab is nice...don't have to lean over to reach a bag of trail mix on the jump seat.

As for banging your head on the roof, try letting a little air out of the seat. Lowering the seat will also allow you to slide it back a little and still reach the pedals...perhaps it won't feel so cramped that way. Nice thing about Mack seats is that little wheel on the side that tips the seat bottom up by your knees, allowing you to have the seat lower without creating a pressure point under your rear because your legs are still on the seat.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  11. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Get you a One stack Mack with a window in the back.
    Set the seat on the floor and grab gears.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.