I'm a carrier - Planning to give/sell ownership of my trucks to my drivers (Good idea or Bad?)

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by acroslot, Jun 18, 2017.

1. acroslot

acroslot Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I'm a small carrier in Dallas running two trucks under my own authority/MC (Have been at it for about 1 year now). Last week one of my drivers quit, so I've been looking for/interviewing drivers.

I've been thinking of some way to reduce the driver turnover. It's harder to retain good drivers when you're really small and get most of your loads from a load board (which creates angst for drivers as routes/home time can vary a lot some times).

Here's an idea that I've been discussing with potential recruits and they seem to like it.
    1. Drivers get a fixed CPM rate of $0.41-0.44 (based on OTR experience)
    2. Drivers can make payments to me monthly/quarterly to buy a portion of the truck from me.
    3. As soon as they make the payment, they become x% owner of the truck .. and start getting x% of the monthly profits of the truck on top of their CPM rate.
    So if the value of the truck today is $40,000 ... and if they pay me $400 (or get that amount deducted from their paycheck) ... each $400 payment will give them 1% of the truck ownership. If the driver is serious about being an O/O, they can make payments consistently and own the truck outright in 3-4 years.

Profit for the truck is calculated as follows:

Revenue
    - Fuel/Insurance/Taxes etc
    - 10 cents/mile put into a maintenance escrow
    - 42 cents/mile paid to driver (his paycheck)
    - 10% of gross as dispatching fee (goes into my pocket as I'm doing the dispatching)
    - 2.5% of gross as factoring fee to get invoices cashed out (paid to a third party)
    = Profit (shared between me and the driver based on the ownership percentage at end of each month)

If driver ends up owning a majority stake in the truck and my share of the profit dwindles down, I still get 10% dispatching fee. I would have pulled out majority of the capital investment that I made originally in the truck, so I can then use that money to buy another truck.

This will encourage drivers to stick around for longer, take better care of the trucks and act in the favor of profitability of the truck since profits are shared with the driver. Drivers can leave any time and I'll buy back their share of the truck based on the truck's current market value.

Does this sound like a sensible thing to do from the Carrier's point of view and the driver's?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You can't hold employees because you're cheap. 1099? I don't see benefits or SSN taxes on your PnL sheet.

An experienced driver can go to Swift and make $.42 plus benifits. And be driving newer equipment.

4. flatbeb mac

flatbeb mac Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Just a thought, but what if a driver turned part owner gets above 51% ownership and decides to quit and sue the other 49% owner (you) for the remaining payment of the truck?

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you want to reduce the turn over rate.

start at paying more. how is the equipment, new, old, up to date service wise or in need of repairs?

you will not encourage drivers to stick around longer by making them pay for the equipment, i'd personally tell you to go fly a kite if i had worked for you.

you must not be doing well, and are looking for a way out to avoid bankruptcy. or maybe you will still file bankruptcy and put those drivers in a lurch. you had better run and hide, they will find you.

best to either pony up more money, get better freight (seems like a reason why they are leaving), or just piece meal your equipment in a sale.

Mr Budeedee and driverdriver Thank this.
  6. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Find ONE employee for one of the trucks, and treat him/her good....then YOU drive the other one.
    If you wanna save those trucks, you're gonna have to drive one of them. Yes it is hard work, and dispatching a second truck while you're on the run is hard too---but it is the best way.

To answer your "profit sharing / purchase" plan...I have 25 years of experience and a squeaky clean MVR with zero accidents/incidents; and if I worked for you, I'd most likely leave if you forced this plan on me....or not accept the job if you proposed it at my interview. I don't want a truck, I don't want "part" owner-ship in your business, I don't want my checks missing any monies on a weekly basis in HOPES that it all works out and I end up with a truck or shares of any profits---nothing is certain in this industry, and I don't wanna gamble.
    You took a gamble, and now you're obviously in a pickle....I just wanna earn my money, pay my bills, and live my life.

7. acroslot

acroslot Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2017
    A couple of things that I guess I didn't clarify in my original post:
    • I own the trucks outright, so there are no payments to make on the trucks.
    • This truck is a 2012 Freightliner in a pretty good condition.
    • This ownership program is in addition to their CPM rate and is totally optional for drivers. It's up to them if they want to take part in it.
    • My business is currently profitable and Im not going bankrupt. On the contrary, Im planning to put in more capital into the business and buy another truck later this year. (I usually buy a couple of years old trucks on cash) I know there's a lot of skepticism on these forums. But can you guys please assume for the context of this post that Im telling the truth. I don't want the discussion to derail in a different direction
    I agree that I could pay more. I'm usually not hiring people with 15-25 years of experience. Its mostly folks with 2-4 years of experience and they usually come on board for 42-43CPM

8. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I do not what to think of this. However, when my wife gets home she will tell me what to think. Then I will let you know what I think. Hope this helps!

PhilKenSebben and austinmike Thank this.
  9. acroslot

acroslot Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I guess I still do not understand why folks think this is a bad idea for the driver who aspires to be an owner/operator?

Currently the only option for drivers to become OO is either join a leasing program (which is universally accepted on these forums as evil) or finance a truck and pay ton of interest charges with fixed monthly payments plus have good credit.

Im not trying to cheat the drivers or take their hard earned money from them. With me
    • You don't have to pay interest or leasing fees.
    • You still get a steady paycheck each month on a CPM rate that is comparable with the market rate.
    • You do not have fixed payments each month. You could pay any amount between $0-$1000 each month. You can skip a few months or pay a big amount outright
    • You don't have to pay for maintenance from their paychecks. Maintenance is paid from the escrow account which is filled up from the profits of the truck. So if there's a major expense on the truck, you still get your regular paycheck (CPM). The only thing that gets affected is your share of the profit might be less for a few months.
    • You are not stuck driving with me forever. If you decide to leave after two years and own 30% of the truck, we'll just calculate the current market value of the truck and I'll pay you 30% of that value in cash to buy your share out.
    Again this is for somebody who is already interested in buying a truck in the near future and is willing to pay a certain amount of money monthly to buy a truck. In my opinion this seems like an amazing deal for the driver.

Please help me understand why you think this would be bad for the driver?

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Go have a lawyer draw up what this plan would look like contractually.

Provide a copy of said contract to the potential ownership partner so he can have his lawyer review it to help decide if it is a sound deal or not.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ok so the trucks break down, since YOU own them, do YOU pay for repairs, or will you EXPECT the driver to chip in as well if he is "buying into" the truck?

what if you DO GO bankrupt or get a divorce, who ultimately gets the equipment then?

what if your drivers decline to get involved with this, you gonna fire them in favor of someone who will take this risk?

i can see no good from this.

Mr Budeedee Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.