I'm a former trucker but I have a question.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by BNR32, Jul 22, 2014.

1. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    I work in distribution center right now and we have a fleet of o/o's that do our deliveries. I never get to talk to the drivers, but I see quite a few of their trucks have some weird deal in front of each rear wheel, best I can describe it is some kind of jerry can looking thing with pipes going straight down to the road. if that helps. I could always grab a picture.

anyway if anyone knows what I am even talking about, what are these? is it some sort of traction device, that's all I came up with. I tried to do regional runs here in the rocky mountains, lets just say I got out of that pretty quick. snowstorms and chaining every other night at like 2am and getting stuck on the hills one too many times did me in very quick. that's why I was wondering if it were something related to that, man I don't know how those guys do it. I was wet cold and exhausted constantly and wasn't making any money because I was running out of hours with all the weather delays, among other things. I really started to miss chaining up on i70!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. "Hang - Man"

"Hang - Man" Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Western PA
    Deleted -see post below

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes, they're "sanders" they are ideally suited to those who routinely do deliveries into difficult docks and parking lots in very snowy areas, particularly in mountainous areas where inclines often part of the dock areas. They're not a lot of use up long grades on the highway/interstate as they run out of sand pretty quickly leaving you with no sand when you need it at your delivery location. To get you moving out of "a slick hole" without having to chain up, they're pretty handy ... when they work.

5. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    ok thanks guys! yeah I don't know how useful they would be either. I think every dock I ever visited on my routes up there was enclosed. you know like with a big door you open and the dock is actually inside the store. its getting to the docks that kicked my ###. I have been to those icy docks otr but i always managed to escape. anyway it was driving me crazy and I tried googling all kind of stuff and couldn't figure it out, so thanks again!

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Think about local Dollar stores and grocery stores and ski resorts in Vail and Ouray and such, these are never enclosed and the side streets are often very difficult.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.