I'm and I.C. and took medical leave

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by kanidana, Aug 6, 2018.

1. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I delivered my last load on 07/09 and drove home for medical leave. I was told I couldn't stay away more than 30 days without having to go through the rehire process. I was set to go back tomorrow on the sixth, I booked two loads on Wednesday. As of today, they deactivated me, wouldn't let me onto the Schneider property, and I can no longer access the load board. My truck is sitting at the Phoenix O.C. and I can't even get to my stuff.

I talked to them last Monday and told them I was coming back on the 6th. I called the weekend people and they didn't have a clue why I was deactivated. This seems kind of extreme especially when I was booked with 2 loads one that picks up tomorrow at noon. I couldn't even get my truck loaded back up. Any idea why this happened?

I did have my truck at the O.C. for a quarterly inspection 2 days late, but this still seems rather extreme. My quarterly inspection was suppose to be done by July 31st, but I didn't get it in the shop until the 2nd. I called the shop and it was inspected as of Saturday. It kind of feels like I've been fired and I'm just waiting for the official word. They didn't even call me and let me know, I found out when I tried to book another load, and then it was doubly confirmed when I went to the Phoenix O.C. and was turned around at the gate.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    The company sucks. I have gone on 5 medical leaves the past 20 years all 2 to 3 months and return to my regular run with seniority intact, no issues!
    I guess driver retention not a issue at the Giant Pumpkin

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Oldironfan and kanidana Thank this.
  4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    When I was there I took almost 2 months off. Just had to do a recertification when I came back.

Check your ICOA, see what it says about extended time off.

Might need to have a consult with your attorney.

If they are outside of the ICOA, you may have grounds for a lawsuit, especially since your reason for being off was medical.

x1Heavy and kanidana Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it looks like, acts like quacks like.. it must be a duck.

I consider espeically when they turned you around at the gate, you are fired and not welcome on the property. If that is your tractor under your name in that yard, you find a lawyer and get things started. Especially if this is time off medical. And temporary.

Retention is not a issue with a fleet that large. Not with dozens completing orientation every week.

Unless you have a second tractor (And trailer perhaps) your schedule is out the window permanently which I would believe in this case. Since no one in the company will tell you anything then you find a lawyer and get things going.

6. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Just talked to them. I was accidentally cut out of the system. This is the strangest thing that's ever happened to me in trucking. They are working on restoring me this morning. With a load pick up at noon (probably lost now), my week is going to be shot because of this. Phoenix is the worst place to be booking loads same day and last minute at least at Schneider. Everything is gone by Monday morning.

Jazz1, buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hm.

Well, if it was me? I would take that lost time and let it go. My hand will be open, palm up and leave it alone.

I am happy the company is working on getting you settled. But boy howdy, someone had to be rushing to fat finger you out of employment on those computers. You would think a office person can take a #### minute to type slowly and correctly into the right part of the system.

kanidana Thanks this.
  8. mattymatt

mattymatt Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2014
    This is not a fun situation to be in. I am glad it turned out that you were only accidentally deactivated from the system and that Schneider is working to get you reinstated. Still, missing a week's worth of work due to an office flunky's mistake hurts.

kanidana and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Welcome to the big uglies ... life as a number along with thousands of other numbers. Pumpkin never stops advertising for drivers burn em and churn em. You are a number , unless you irritate them then they know you and refuse you entry on THERE property get out of here boy your not welcome here.

kanidana and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I do know one of the worst things about Schneider is the lack of communication between departments... That is the most frustrating Thing over there...

CT-Driver860, mattymatt and Opus Thank this.
  11. mattymatt

mattymatt Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2014
    It's like that in any large company and in any industry. I must say though that the recruiting process has been incredibly streamlined and well done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.