Im in school, & wanna impress my teacher

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by soon2betrucking, Nov 1, 2007.

1. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    hey fella, heres the deal, I am in school right now, its a 6 month program, and before entering i thought i had an idea of the industry simply readding facts online, which is true, however im am only headed into my 7th week, and i want to impress my teacher, i want you " Vets " to tell me somthing that i can ask/tell my teacher that would " blow him out of the water "
    he has driven over 2,000,000 miles and was driving for i think 17 years, dont "" me on that, could be " give or take " but i no its 2,000,000.... so lets hear it, he's very good with this, anything i lean i check it out online here and other places and its true for the most part
    so tell me somthing that he would no, that the other students wouldnt,
    being that you are all " Experienced Truckers' "
    anything would be awsome.
    thanks alot guys

p.s
    I have read a lot of this forum, and i have to hand it to all of you, some really awsome stuff to read, gives me high hopes of what to expect when hit the rd as an OTR, cant wait
    thanks again to all
    :biggrin_25514:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    If you really wanna impress him, don't try to impress him. I'm not trying to rain on your parade of excitement about trucking. I'm just meaning that most of us drivers (regardless of "veteran" status) have heard just about everything there is to hear.

As far as something that your fellow students wouldn't know, you could try explaining the 11/14/70 hour rules in great detail and the split sleeper berth exemption.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  4. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

the way to impress your teacher is to out shine your fellow students. dont try to impress him since you will fail, show initiative and an egerness to learn and that in itself should impress him.

rocknroll nik Thanks this.
  5. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    to both of you, i totaly hear you loud and clear, and dont worry, i dont take things in " the wrong way " say what it is that you have to, cause thats the truth
    however, im not trying to out-do any of my classmates, its just that everytime we have a question he has the exact answer, he NEVER has to say let me check into that, or i dont no but ill find out and let you no later... he is hearing what he is supposed to hear from his students, and he is an awsome teacher, i have had well over 50 + teachers in my school days, never had one like this guy, he's is really good at what he does, and he is very passionite about teaching us... but all i want to do is, since he hears what he is supposed to, is just throw him a curve ball, like explain somthing to me, that i can ask/tell him that he wouldnt expect to hear from a " student" .... i just want to give him an unexpected question, it would show him that i am doing my " home work " as i have sufred the web, and this is the best place to go.
    againe, tell me what ever you want " as is " after all, thats what this site is inteded for, could be wrong tho.
    and thanks for the honesty here.

6. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    The best thing you could give your teacher is to learn what he teaches you (or if its not something that gels with you right away, the willingness to perservere to learn the skill).

7. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I understand exactly what you are looking for, but I would like to suggest this:

Find something on this, or other, lower quality trucking sites on your own that just might show your teacher what you are trying to show him.

8. Hawker

Hawker Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    The best way to impress an experienced driver:

Don't scratch every gear
    Keep off the curbs
    Be "easy on the clutch"
    Apply what he teaches you
    Admit and learn from your mistakes

All experienced drivers I have driven with, just want you to take care of the equipment and drive safe. If you do that, as a student, they will be impressed..................well, almost :biggrin_2559:

9. lookingup

lookingup Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2006
    wear a short skirt

10. Hawker

Hawker Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    Man.....I sure hope that "soon2betrucking" is of the female persuasion....:biggrin_25524:

11. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Maybe its 'lookingup' short skirts? Guess, if you take his advice, better wear a kilt if you are a guy... could be creepy connecting the glad hands on a windy day... uggghhhhh.:biggrin_25524:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.