Im in school, & wanna impress my teacher

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by soon2betrucking, Nov 1, 2007.

1. BubbaTrucker

BubbaTrucker "Iam Hanging in there"

Nov 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    too tall gave it to you straight .. but when i back i always look at it this way... just like when you are tightening a bolt, turn right to tight and left to loose.. always works for me .. never had a problem with backing except when i am in very tight places and you will get into them places, i am sure you can hear many horror stories about tight places and backing ...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Too-Tall

Too-Tall Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Pittsburgh PA
    i once backed into a dock tighter then my last girlfreind.... and it was less gratfying too :biggrin_2553: also she didnt find that joke as funny as i did :biggrin_25523:

as i said for the backing and wheel-hand placment. to each thier own. i never preach just one waycuz my way might not work for you. but give it a try and a few others see what works.

as for ur range instructor... id complain to the dean/head honco/whatever about it (in secret). my school had the best classroom instructor and at least 2 out of 3 of the best range instructors i could ever come across. the instructors really make the school. so mabe thats why i felt mine was the best:biggrin_2556:

4. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey folks, just fillin everyone in, it turns out that my teacher, the one that i was looking to impress turned out to be one of the biggest lires iv ever come across. What happend was, he was dealing with a buch of people who didnt no jack about the trucking industry, until myself and 2 other students, were talking, and it turned out that one of the students comes from an entire family of truckers, the other student has been trucking for 9 years with a B class, and he's there to get his A class, and myself doing plenty of research on the internet and it turned out that most of the 411 he gave us was not accurate in any way shape or form!
    anyway, im done with his class now, im now out on the range learning the skills now,
    1, 108 & air brakes,
    2. Straight Line backing, which im supprised about the amount of people that cant straigt line back roughly 40yrds., i was able to do it the 1st time no prob. :biggrin_25523:
    3. Sight Side backing, im on now, and have it down pretty good. but practice is key!!!
    4. Blinde side backing,
    5. Alley Doc,
    6. All Skills.
    The only bad thing is that, we dont learn how to shift until we are actualy out on the highway :biggrin_25513:, i think we should have to learn how to do it out on the range, cause just think about, someone who dont know how to shift getting on I-95 in Philly!!! yikes!!! thats how i feel anyway, but honstly i feel good, and I am not too concerned YET, haha

5. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    Ask your teachers why it pays more to be Teamsters Local 470 dump truck driver, or a Local 830 beverage truck driver and sleep in your own bed every night, than it does to drive some OTR thing with a box on the back that you have to live in.

Watch how they try to BS you then. I'll bet they try to tell you some kind of "office with a window" or "see the country through the windshield" or some other kind of crap.

6. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey Joe, haha funny, when i was in his class we had a student as a question almost just like that haha, and their respons was because were spending so much money to go to school, that we should make that money back within a year, that we should get out there and see the "WORLD", ok, we want to be truck drivers, not pilots, how are we going to see the " world ?", that your further away from your boss, first of all, your in their truck, they know where to find you more in a truck then a wharehouse, specialy with the quail's., yes, they always say that running local will not get you very far in life..... thats funny, i have a family member that runs an oil biz, he has a fleet of oil trucks, 4 that run 365 days a year, and his drivers are doing awesome!, but what do i no, im just a newb in school.......... :biggrin_25523:

7. RoamingGnome

RoamingGnome Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Pennsylavania
    i think everybody should go out and do at least a year or two OTR. it gives you a chance to see things you normally wouldn't have a chance to see and a chance to make a few dollars doing it. plus most local and LTL companies won't touch a driver with no experience. and i have seen companies asking drivers about experience with winter driving. after you get the wheel time and have seen all you have out there you want to see go to an LTL company or local job. it's really the only way to go in the long run. good luck in your decision.

8. Joethemechanic

Joethemechanic Medium Load Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Phila Pa
    What they are telling you is pure BS. If you go OTR you are going to usn up making about 10 bucks an hour without overtime for working 70 hours a week.

I think the Local 470 rate for a triaxle dump truck driver is $23.60 an hour regular time with overtime at $35.40 after either your 8th hour in a day or your 40th hour in a week.(I cant remember which)

Think this

[​IMG]

NOT THIS

[​IMG]

Well that is unless you want to wear a dirty wife beater and go pee-pee in a milk jug.

9. soon2betrucking

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Hey Joe, thanks, and thats exactly what this forum was intended for, for me to ask a question, and for you to assit me, especialy being a newb. i want to do the otr thing for about 5 years, then i have major dreams of opening up my own transport company, specialy flatbed. but i cant carve that in the stone yet, i need to get in, learn, learn, learn, and even learn somemore and then see where i am, and i have made out when my 5 years is up
    thanks for the adivie/thoughts.
    be safe!
    thanks again.

10. curtislyn

curtislyn Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Montgomery, AL
    Yeah, I saw enough to know that I won't do it again.

11. cdldirector

cdldirector Bobtail Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Hampton Va.
    your lucky to even graduate from that school after threatening an instructor. you would have been removed immediatly from class and lost any money paid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.