I'm starting my journey with Roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by BigNorm4Life, Apr 25, 2017.

1. BigNorm4Life

BigNorm4Life Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    I finally bit the bullet and it looks like I'll be at the training class this coming Monday the 1st

I got a question... I have a valid intrastate medical card, will I have to get another DOT test? because if I do I feel as though it gets complicated. I'm 26 years old and I have sleep apnea, I did have a sleep test awhile back and I do have a CPAP machine because all that was a requirement to get the Gastronomy sleeve surgery (weight loss surgery) so do I need to bring it? I rather not lug it around. I've lost a lot of weight and stop using it since I've been sleeping great with no issues

I had the weight loss surgery back in December... as it stands I'm down 75 pounds on the dot from 391-316 and falling. my blood pressure sometimes creep up on the low high side when I'm active but I'm in great shape. I'm trying to figure should I start taking my BP medicine again today just as a precaution cause I know when its high and I really don't need it honestly but if my medical card saves me from even taking this test then I don't need to worry about it

I will be driving my car from Philadelphia to Appleton Wisconsin... lol not too thrilled about that drive, what is the reimbursement for me driving? I read that the real reason why they encourage people to drive their own cars because theirs no transportation from the hotel to the training site so I guess I got to fill in... still debating if I want to take my Rav4 (needs brakes and tires) or my Fusion (Ecoboost needs premium gas)

So what is my Shopping list to bring with me?

So far I have:

Garmin Dezl 770LM (bought second hand for a $100)
    Good pair of leather gloves
    Rubber gloves for Fueling
    1 Week worth of clothes
    Bodywash
    toothpaste and mouthwash
    Samsung Tablet
    $300 petty cash
    Advil
    Kneepads
    Clipboard with a good pens and white out

Anything I'm missing? will a small carry on suitcase be alright I should I use a duffel bag

Edit:

I know what I wanted to ask.. I'm jumping the gun but does Roehl have dedicated accounts in the Northeast or Pa. not sure if I want to do regional or national. I have ALL MY ENDORSEMENTS and read that we get runs into Canada and I assume that's where money at... Should I get my TWIC as well?. I'm not too worried about getting home, I'm prepared to stay out 3 weeks and have home time of 7-5 days a month. I figure since Roehl is generous with the home time plans 21/7-5 off shouldn't be a problem or am I forced to follow their on/off schedules?

Since I coming with all my #### in line... I can get a better starting mileage rate? My hazmat is pending background as we speak so bout time I have my Class A I'll be ready to go and thought maybe I could first in line for a dedicated route

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Shower shoes and duffle bag and laundry bag. The D.O.T medicine will be up to them if they take your current one or make you get recertified my their approved doctor. The sleep apnea machine you might want to bring it ot be prepared to ship it to yourself. Getting off CPAP is something new. I would think since you have sleep apnea. To be safe you would need another test proving you don't need the CPAP vs just not using it or tell them you don't need it. If their was ever accident and the find out you had sleep apnea a just stopping using it without a doctor saying you don't need it would be a problem. D..O.T physical doctor usually want to see proof your using it if someone has sleep apnea. That could be trick, I would bring you cpap. Your in new territory when it comes to figuring what it takes to get off CPAP. I just got on CPAP never thought about how you get off it other then a sleep test that shows you don't have it anymore. They go by BMI and neck size when picking someone for sleep test. So you and me would have to lose lots of weight to normal BMI. Then have to figure out if you can get off CPAP. Unless you can prove you don't have it anymore.

4. BigNorm4Life

Jan 21, 2017
    I haven't used it since Feb. technically I'm on orders to keep using it but according to my girlfriends (she's concerned about me not using it) I haven't snored or stop breathing and I haven't woke up out my sleep since before I had the surgery. Guess it times for me to clean the dust off lol

5. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Good luck with Roehl...hope all goes well.

I would imagine that they will have their own doctors to do a physical and issue med cards on site, otherwise make the group of you go to a clinic close to there...but more than likely, you will get a new interstate med card.

The sleep apnea issue is difficult to answer because I don't know. Usually, at the big companies, if you are over their weight or neck size threshold, they will make you take a sleep study. Since you already know you have sleep apnea and have a cpap, they might just want the last 6 months of data from the machine or something...I'm not sure.

As far as blood pressure, if you are prescribed meds, I would take them. If your BP is too high, you won't be able to get a med card.

Your list of stuff looks good, can't think of anything else...and I don't know about Roehl and dedicated or hometime

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The neck size they go by is 17.5 I think for guys and 15 for women. I know for new driver what they do is give you a 3 month medical card so drivers have some time to get a sleep apnea screening. Then they want to see 30 days usage usually before getting 1 year card.

Since you stopping using it is they might only give 3 month medical card. Then you would just show them your data say in 30 or 60 days and they would give you 1 year card. That just a guess, they may just say you have to start using it give you 1 years medical card. I'm just saying not using it last couple months could be a little problem. It depends on the doctor giving the physical. That's only if they make you take another physical

7. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Also.. it takes about 5 days for your bp to level once you start taking meds. My doc told me it might rise alittle before lowering

8. BigNorm4Life

Jan 21, 2017
    So as it stands I mentioned that I was going to get my CDL wtih Roel and all that but halfway through the process I just got this very job good offer for CDL Class B

Just got hired by Stericycle transporting hazardous waste (Bleach, paint, light bulbs, batteries) from retail stores. I'm gone 3 days a week in Up state New York servicing that area. I'm giving a Credit card and its up to my choosing to get a hotel room up to $150 a night. I'm paid $45 Per Diem for food, I'm paid a teamsters wage of $20.80 an hour averaging 55 a week. very good medical, and lucrative cash bonuses

I think it would be foolish to turn this down:)

9. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like a much better situation for present. You can always take the step later if you want to go to class A status.

BigNorm4Life Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.