I'm taking up bicycling ..any others here into it ?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by bzinger, Jun 28, 2018.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'm out of shape and 40ilbs overweight and an ex smoker of 3 years .
    Its time to start exercising .
    I bought a trek 730 road bike today that is in great shape from a guy that took good care of it .
    100 degrees and high humidity I made it 12 blocks to and from home .
    Wasn't huffing and puffing but arse is sore , I'm hot and legs are tired !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have been considering getting into it also, over the last week or 2 at least. Haven't been home much but I am going to get a new bike if I can't easily get my old one going and carry it in the trailer or in cab as necessary. Try to do it every day. Walking or running doesn't do it for me, especially the warmer it gets. I have found this website. www.mapmyride.com It has trails all over the place. Try this for Omaha Omaha Bike Trails - Maps of Bike Routes in Omaha, NE

I have been kicking around the idea of firing up a thread to maybe help me find motivation to eat better than I do and also get some exercise in. My accountability to myself means absolutely zero. I haven't found any other threads on here of what I am thinking of, something along the lines of a daily or weekly update and a weigh in to measure progress. No strict standards as to when to weigh in or what exercise you want to do, just something for big fat truckers who all know the same temptations and ease of lack of exercise have lead to a very unhealthy lifestyle. What do you think, good idea or stupid idea? I have to do something about my health. I am only 5'6" and weigh in at 240 "and change" since the digital scale settles on a range and I fluctuate quite a bit. I make all the typical excuses I have been making for years. "I will start on Monday" or "the first of the next month" crap like that. I want to drop a few pounds before I even consider going to a gym. I am the laziest person in existence and in my mind I am one of those 600-pounders on tv. Lately it is seriously effecting my mental health. Which just seems to be a big circle of make poor food choice->regret it->feel like crap->repeat. Feel like I am stuck in the 7th circle of Hell.

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I have a bike on my truck. I ride it for fun. The real weight loss and change I’ve experienced came from eating low carb and doing dumb bell exercises. I do them daily.

5. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Do you like to eat meat, cheese, eggs, celery, peanut butter? If so you can eat all you want and still drop pounds. You have to give up sugar, flour, rice, bread, fruit juice, and empty carbs. But it can be done.

6. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Great post and I get what you are saying !
    So dam hard to eat healthy on the road !
    And yes we have a great trail system here and once I get to where I'm comfortable and my arse is broke in I'm going to take advantage of it .

Oxbow, gokiddogo and IluvCATS Thank this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    As brad cooks a pot of rice , gravy and pork lol

Broke Down 69, Oxbow, wore out and 4 others Thank this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

That soreness will subside after a bit of regular riding. Biggest thing I found is to have a comfortable seat.

I am in the same boat, sort of. I'm 5'6"" and 195 lbs. I was in amazing shape in my early 20's, at 140 pounds soaking wet. Then life happened. I never did the sports or exercise thing until about a year ago when the scale topped 210.

As it happened, the pastor at our church was on a weight loss journey as well, and we began bicycling. My first ride on a bicycle in 20 years was a 17 mile ride. I was huffing and puffing, even though I've never smoked anything in my life. Thought I'd have a heart attack. But I survived it. Two days later I hurt like hell. But I kept at it once a week until the weather and hunting season started.

This spring we went back at it after taking the winter off, and it was tough.

I started going to the gym each day (I run local), and that has really helped. I know I won't ever see 140 again, and I'm ok with that. My goal is 165, but I'm really after cardio health.

9. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I started a plant base diet. But I still cheat a little. I was eating lots of greens as it is and juicing, then I saw the documentary on Netflix,... you tube has it too, “What The Health”. It changed my whole prospective with the FDA, USDA, and so on..... a must see for those who want to eat healthier and live longer.

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    My diet consists mainly of restaurant crap, burgers, big pasta dishes, never just a salad with chicken on top. Chocolate bars, diet pepsi is about 90% of the liquid I consume, FJ meat loaf+mac/cheese+mashed/gravy is another go-to. I am off the FJ pizza, tired of it, but loved it for a long time. Bad food, most notably the candy aisles, are like crack to me. I get sitting wide awake in that sleeper and they speak to me, and I know it's only a matter of time before I am feasting on empty sugar calories on the big road in the high dollar lane to diabetes-ville. I'll fire up a new one when I get home and will do a weigh in then. Should be some time around July 5 or 6. Have to go home to do my irp, insurance renewal, all the end of quarter stuff and I can't put it off and just stay on the road because insurance and plate expire August 1. This will be the last put-off I swear lol.

Oxbow, not4hire, bentstrider83 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I have always been able to eat anything and everything... But lately I have noticed that I'm getting a bit of what my wife calls a "muffin top"... My belly is starting to over hang my belt buckle. Not that I'm fat but getting enough of a gut and love handles to begin to bother me. And I had been in 30 inch waist jeans for 15 years or better, until last fall I had to go up to 31 inches. Like I said, not fat... But I'm definetally getting a gut. I keep telling myself that its part of getting into the middle-age-male phase of life... But not so sure that's all of it.

Oxbow and Oldironfan Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.