I'm two weeks from getting CDL, too early to contact about employment?

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by Arpoc, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Arpoc

Arpoc Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    As the title states, I'm going to be graduating from Sage around 10/20 and was wondering if I should go ahead and contact Superior now or wait until I have my license in hand? I know there are some guys on here that were hired straight from school and any insight into the hiring process would be appreciated. I was going to stop in at the Karns City terminal sometime this week and talk to the terminal manager about employment opportunities but I'm not sure if I should do that or just call him on the phone. I'd like to hear from those of you who successfully made the jump from school and how you did it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

hal380 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    It's harder to do this with the mega carriers, but knocking on doors at superior, and others shouldn't be a problem and may prove to be an advantage. You may want to submit a net app first... up to you.

Also, there's no reason not to submit apps to multiple companies... even Mega's... cover your bases.

Two weeks out is a good time to start...!

Good luck...!

4. Arpoc

Arpoc Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I have a pre hire with Schneider tank division but if I could go straight to Superior that would obviously be the better route. However, I have no issues "doing my time" with Schneider for 12 - 18 months to get experience. I hear that their tank training is actually pretty good out of Coraopolis which is where I'd go.

5. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    Very true... My brother went to Superior straight out of school and has no regrets. So yes, it's a step up from SNBC. My only issue with Superior is their equipment, but their people and pay more than compensate for it.

Good luck...!

6. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Definitely stop in and Talk to the folks in the office. If they tell you to go ahead and apply, you could potentially go take your drug test and physical the same day you get your license.

Either company you end up with will put you leaps and bounds above most of your classmates in pay.

7. Loginfailed

Loginfailed Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Central, fl
    It is never too early to apply to the companies you are interested in. I am a recent graduate (10/3) and was given my orientation day by the carrier during my second week of school. Remember some companies don't process an application straight away, some take weeks to complete.

I had three companies in mind that I was willing to work for, the one that contacted me back first was my second choice. My 1st and 3rd choice from my short list were still processing my application as of graduation day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.