Ima be a trainer ya'll!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lugnut, Jul 4, 2007.

1. lugnut

lugnut Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Farkin, WI
    I applied at TransAm to be a trainer. They told me yesterday I was approved. So I go to training class on the 13th!
    I may not know all there is (actually I KNOW I don't). But I want to level the field a little. I won't use my trainee to get miles, and I won't allow them to speed. That being said, I will train them to do what is LEGAL and SAFE to the best of my ability.

silverlayke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

I hope at least you are a seasoned driver.:biggrin_2556::biggrin_25523:

4. Mavrick81

Mavrick81 Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Southern California
    well ounce your done training, know this, he will be driving alongside all of us. train him well, and don't allow him any slack

silverlayke Thanks this.
  5. freeb0irdsc197

freeb0irdsc197 Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Will you be training women too? I hope so. We need more trainers willing to train women.

silverlayke Thanks this.
  6. Sabine in Mo

Sabine in Mo Medium Load Member

May 11, 2006
    Fredericktown, MO
    If I am right, this would be Spencerian on CAD, who has a grand total of 6 months experience, and that would include going through school and training himself.

If you aren't, my apologies to you, but if you are.....what do you think you can possibly teach anyone with such limited experience yourself?

7. Sabine in Mo

Sabine in Mo Medium Load Member

May 11, 2006
    Fredericktown, MO
    I just received this PM, and not having enough posts I just write my answer in the forum:

By Lugnut to me:

If I am right, this would be Spencerian on CAD,
    Why Yes, it is
    who has a grand total of 6 months experience, and that would include going through school and training himself. WHY no it wouldn't. I have SEVEN months experience as a SOLO driver.
    I like how you presume #### before KNOWING it.

If you aren't, my apologies to you, but if you are.....what do you think you can possibly teach anyone with such limited experience yourself?
    Let's not get into this.
    Did you know I used to be an EMPLOYER.?Someone had to show the new guy how to do his job. What couldn't I teach? You guys make driving seem like a trade that takes years to master. Come on!

My answer:

While I do hope you do well in your chosen profession, because I don't want anyone driving around me and my family who shouldn't be driving, I just point out the obvious (to me, as I can have an opinion on this), that your limited time behind the wheel of a truck makes you less than qualified to train.

Having been an employer has no bearing on your ability to operate a CMV.

You are awfully defensive, so I am guessing I struck a nerve.

I have been driving 7 years, and don't think I could train. I truly believe when people get so ####y, as to think they just know it all, they become a danger to themselves and others.

I am taking the high road here....good luck to you. even though I totally don't agree with your companies policy of letting you do this.

PS, no reason to get rude

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Driving is a trade...that is NEVER mastered.

That's the only comment I have to add to this thread. :biggrin_25522:

silverlayke Thanks this.
  9. Mavrick81

Mavrick81 Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Southern California
    can anybody be positive about this. here is a man that has 7 months drive time as a sol driver. he has obviously stood out among the other driver in his companies eyes. OR they are just too dang desperate.

10. lugnut

lugnut Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Farkin, WI
    Can anybody be positive? Probably not.
    Can they be rational? Probably not.

When I originally posted this I did intend to be a trainer. But I wanted feedback. I got it over at CAD. I also got a lot of BS.

I decided not to be. The main reason is that TransAm is not that great of a company to begin with, and they may force me to train as a team. I totally disagree with team training.

11. Tricky Nick

Tricky Nick Light Load Member

May 9, 2007
    Utah
    I myself am a trainee, I have had 2 trainers with CRETE, both are seasoned drivers and know a lot about driving but both have also said that they themselves are still learning. They have trained me just as I would be driving on my own, not as a team. My trainer gets the mileage that is put on the truck but he is in the passenger seat the whole time watching and critiqueing everything and every move I make. I would not as a trainee want to be trained by a company that trains as a "team" I am not going to be a team when I am on my own and CRETE knows this and trains us as if we were already solo, CRETE does not let the trainers be trainers in a short period of time, I am not sure how long they have to be working for the company before they can become a trainer, I am sure however they cannot have safety or logbook violations. Also they are not paid for "Trainee miles" so they actually have to WANT to be a trainer.
    I will get off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening and hopefully this will help when someone decides they want to be a tainer. I know I could not nor may never be able to be a trainer....not enough patience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted