Immigrant wanting to truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gambinos Wrath, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Gambinos Wrath

Gambinos Wrath Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Denver, co
    So, I've recently immigrated to the united states, was in a long term relationship and finally married my wife who is an American. I originally come from Australia, where for the last few years I worked for aust post delivering the mail on the motorbike. Because of that I found I love the driving, would avg 5 hours a day riding all over ###### terrain in any weather. My plan is to become a trucker for that reason, I also get to see this beautiful country. Now to my ?'s

1. I have driven in the states 4 months, but have only had my us licence for a month, swift says that doesn't matter. I have been driving in aust for 8 years+

2. I am not worried about the criminal background as the us is cert specific about finding out everything about you before letting you in as does aust post.

3. Is their any other things I should know about? I have the cash to pay for schooling up front (hell I have the money to not work for 5 years, but I would prob kill myself, I need something to do)

I've basically decided on swift as thwy will take me from the get go, but I have also read what alot of people have said, please any advice would be very welcome

Cudascious Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cudascious

Cudascious Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    Hi, my opinion is to go to Sage Trucking School or another reputable school and get your CDL first, rather than acquire it through company training. Then pick a company that will be more likely to meet your needs and desires. You will be away from your wife for extended periods of time, thats part of going OTR.

I have a family, and I go out for 10-16 weeks at a time and go home for a week or 2 in between. I like the job and the lifestyle, its the least stressful job Ive ever had, oddly enough.

4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    First of all.....I would give my left nut to leave this #### hole and move to Austrailia (why do so many people, from so many countries, think the U.S. is the "be all, to end all"?!?)

If you have the cash to pay for 5 years living in the U.S. without a job......do something better with it than SWIFT!

Obviously you like traveling....you took that 19 hour flight to the opposite hemisphere.Or do you really want to see what it's like in this over-populated, over-run, "take that Statue Of Liberty and shove it up your ###" country?

Yes.....I am jealous. I would LOVE to switch places with you. You come from Austrailia. Down under. Land of the lost.
    You left a country, of little hassel, and lots of space......to a country of little space, and lots of hassel.....and you want MY help? How about YOU help ME?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
    Joescheppae Q Thanks this.
  5. Cudascious

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    The USA is the best country in the world. I love my country. :D

camerabrat Thanks this.
  6. KiloByte

KiloByte Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The grass is always greener on the other side.

7. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    If you really feel this way, please book your ticket. I will donate toward your air fare, as I'm sure many others will also. Remember, the grass is not always greener.

I am on a forum with an Australian driver who would give anything to move here. He has tried, but the US will not let him immigrate at this time.

Meltom and Cudascious Thank this.
  8. Cudascious

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    Ill also donate towards his airfare. lol

Meltom, Dna Mach and stranger Thank this.
  9. Cudascious

Feb 25, 2011
    New Mexico
    What? At least he speaks english, unlike some other immigrants who do not and refuse to. :biggrin_25516:

10. BolloxReader

BolloxReader Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm checking out various companies as well. I would urge you to consider how transferable the skills you learn in one company would be to another. If you look at most truckers, they don't stay in one place. You want a company with a reputation for not smearing your record unnecessarily and for training you in a safe, compliant way. You need to do a background check on the company just as much as they do on you. I started here because they are eyewitness accounts on the companies listed by former and current drivers. I then moved to here because I wanted to find specifically the problems of each company. Remember that every company is going to piss off someone and that what counts is whether other credible truckers will come to the general defense against the specific charges of newbies.

I'm attending SAGE in Indianapolis in December, hoping to be hired by a company in January (I want to learn how to drive in the worst). If you have the money for CDL training without going to a company, do that. Remember that employment in the US is often different than employment in Commonwealth countries. Employees have fewer rights and less certainty than places like Australia. It's all about prioritizing what you want out of a company and then finding a company whose bright spots match the highest on your wish list.

That is how I am handling the whole thing, at least. Remember that even the worst companies have bright spots and success stories, and even the best companies have bad points and horror stories.

Good luck.

11. Jarhed1964

Jarhed1964 Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Post removed by moderator.

:biggrin_2554:

:biggrin_2555::biggrin_25512:

Injun Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.