Immigrant wanting to truck

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gambinos Wrath, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Sage is not PTDI accredited. Swift is. If the O/P wants to pay cash for his CDL academy, he can do so whether it is accredited Swift or non accredited Sage. Either way, he is not "nailed down" to any one company, as he will not owe anything for school. Pays cash, remember? Swift's program is accepted at many more places than Sage, whether you're willing to admit that or not.

To the O/P: if you put two years in incident free with any company, you will pretty much have your choice of jobs.

White Dog, you may want to rethink insulting a man's wife with such terminology. Just sayin.

112racing Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ultraclassic

ultraclassic Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Oklahoma City, OK
    @Injun, with a title like Mama Swift I'm going to take it your knowledgeble about them haha...Do they have a main yard here in OKC I seem to remeber them having one off Reno? Also whats their training program like for rookies? You can PM if you like or just answer here, thanks...

4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    If you're on I-40, take the Morgan Road exit and turn right. Go to the "T" and turn right. The yard is on your right.

As for training, mine was almost five years ago. Things have changed a bit since then. Suggest you go to the Swift forum and look at some of the threads there. You will have more information, which will make it easier to narrow your question a bit.:biggrin_2559:

5. ultraclassic

ultraclassic Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks will check it out...5yrs with same company they must be doing something right...

6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I haven't been with Swift the entire time. I started trucking with them then left after a year. I ran for a tiny company that went belly up because of the American Axle strike and they pretty much had all their eggs in one basket.

Then I went to a large refrigerated company for nearly two years. The business model was not compatible with mine, so I left on good terms and returned to Swift. I've been back since the first part of July last year. I couldn't be happier. Well, okay, occasionally I grouse about something, but overall, I'm glad I came back.

7. Kittyfoot

Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    Grousing is a part of trucking. Might even be "constitutional". Heck, when I had my own lil company I groused aout ME.:biggrin_2559:

8. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    Why are you still here? Get out then.

Hitman and 112racing Thank this.
  9. Gambinos Wrath

Gambinos Wrath Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Denver, co
    Their are good parts of australia, but overall the government (much like any country really) have turned it to ####, say you went to australia, the way some of you old school truckers drive, you would lose your licence in a month, i love the driving laws here, also australia is the highest taxed nation in the western world. Its very very regulated, their are speed cameras everywhere, and they use speed camera's and tickets as another way of taxing the populace. I remember a report coming out about putting licence plates on the front of motorbikes (its a great country for riding motorbikes) because they are losing 8billion in revenue because they cant ping the front of motorbikes, forget the safety reasons about why their isnt front licence plates.

Another thing I love about this country is the patriotism, I have alot of it, but its virtually non existant in australia, I lived in brisbane, biggest city (size wise, not population) in australia, I can think of 2 places in the whole city where I would see an aussie flag, here, I see them everywhere, going to nfl games and seeing the huge flag on the field and the fighter jets, makes me proud that one day I hope to be part of the greatest nation on earth.

Now, Im thinking of going to United States Truck Driving school, my brother in law went to another one where he payed close to 8g's for it, and Im not paying that much, mostly cause I dont wanna dip into my house downpayment money.

I was planning on driving for swift, as they are the only ones who will take me with very little driving experience in this country. Does anyone have any other ideas or is their anything I should know that I havent been able to pick up from reading other threads? I have been happy in whatever job ive done, we have no serious debts left. So any money i make is gravy, and is essentially going into the house fund, and I thought now would be a good time, we dont plan on having children for around 2-3 years, so with no children, thought to myself, I do this, I get us some money, and some experience doing otr which every company wants, and then when the wife is pregnant, transfer/change to something local.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  10. BIGDADDYBEAR

BIGDADDYBEAR Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Lexington Park MD
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.